Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there a "starting point" thread for parents of newly diagnosed toddlers?

(3 Posts)
flamingmo Sat 09-Apr-16 15:43:32

Hi,

My son is 19 months old. I have so many questions and am feeling completely overwhelmed. Is there a thread or an article anywhere that guides you step by step through all the things that you (may) need to do as a parent of a special needs baby/toddler? I'm referring to things like private vs NHS diagnosis, applying for DLA, schooling etc.

Do I need to apply from now to a special needs nursery/school?

When can I apply for EHCP?

Will it be a hindrance that my diagnosis was through a private doctor? Who do I need to inform of his diagnosis?

These are the sorts of questions I have. My friends with neurotypical children don't have to think about these sorts of things, they just send their kids off to whatever school is local!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Frusso Sun 10-Apr-16 08:10:45

hi flaming
no, there isn't a single thread that i'm aware of, things differ greatly between posters so one experience will be totally different from another.
But if you have questions just post in the sn chat or sn children topics and you should get answered.

you could take a look at the preschool thread, they are going throughout with younger ones so you may find some support there.

flamingmo Sun 10-Apr-16 12:10:35

Thanks frusso, I'll do that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now