Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The ed pych, help please

(6 Posts)
shazzarooney99 Mon 28-Mar-16 00:08:05

Ok for one my son does not have a learning disability, im100% sure hes on the spectrum,school are too, the trouble is most of his bad behaviour is at home and not at school, of course they see different behaviours, now im worried the ed pych wont see through this, do you know what i mean? hes like butter wouldnt melt at school!

We have been in the system a long long time and in the past i haddnt been honest about the extent of his behaviour fearing someone would come in and take my children away,daft i know, anyway i ended telling school, weve been to the hospital a few times over him wanting to kill himself ect, anyway the peadatrician is going to make a decision on diagnosing him with autism after the ed pych report and the salt report, (which came back with socail comm problems).

Anyway I really want to be prepared this time and want to be brutally honest, what sort of things should i be writing down or asking???

zzzzz Mon 28-Mar-16 09:46:14

Just describe what your child is struggling with if asked, but here Ed Psych reports/assessments do not include much (any?) parental input, they are a reflection of what happens in school.

OneInEight Mon 28-Mar-16 10:06:49

My tip is to make sure her observations are at times your ds might struggle with e.g. playtimes, PE, group work and then she is more likely to see something.

Ours did pick up a lot of body language that ds2 in particular was very, very stressed at school like rocking, flinching when the teacher spoke, looking totally lost when instructions were given etc. At the time he was mostly well behaved but had had a mega-meltdown at school hence referral to EP so they are trained to pick up more subtle signs. She also agreed to see ds2 at home when we applied for a statement and that was again informative because even though he was very uncooperative (ie. wouldn't do any of the tests) she could see how he was much more relaxed at home than school.

They may do some academic / aptitude tests as well which can be interesting but can be stressful for the child ( ds1 managed to leap over a 6 foot fence after one of his ) because they carry on with harder and harder questions with the EP giving no indication of whether the answer is right or wrong until the child has got several successive answers wrong. For ds1 there was a big disparity between aptitude and achievement so although he looked according to the schools records to be doing fine he was clearly under-achieving for what he was capable of.

shazzarooney99 Mon 28-Mar-16 20:16:18

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the info xxx

AugustaFinkNottle Mon 28-Mar-16 21:31:41

It's really common for children on the spectrum to hold things together at school but let it all out once they get home, and I would hope that a competent EP would know that.

shazzarooney99 Mon 28-Mar-16 23:03:50

AugustaFinkNottle, hope so luv xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now