Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Schtum' by Jem Lester - novel of life with a profoundly autistic child

(22 Posts)
PolterGoose Thu 17-Mar-16 16:35:14

Some of you might be interested, I certainly am as it's about a presentation of autism I don't have much experience of.

Schtum by Jem Lester

Guardian review here

It's out on 7 April I think (Amazon sometimes release early).

StarlightMcKenzee Thu 17-Mar-16 18:38:24

Thank you.

ouryve Thu 17-Mar-16 18:57:05

Ooh, I've pre-ordered that for my kindle. I might have finished my current book b then <slow reader>

WellTidy Thu 17-Mar-16 20:35:22

I've pre ordered too. DS is towards this end of the spectrum and I think elements of it will resonate with me.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 18-Mar-16 11:00:51

For those who are interested in this, you might also like this

Tutak Fri 08-Apr-16 20:24:18

Hello PolterGoose and co. - I just listened to a good interview with Shtum author Jem Lester on the R4's Front Row - it's on BBC Iplayer (about 18 minutes in…) www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075mf0.

SENMumoftwo Sat 09-Apr-16 13:25:25

Thank you. I'll be adding that to my pile of books to order it's right behind the 'books to read' list!!

PolterGoose Sat 09-Apr-16 15:13:45

Thanks Tutak, just listened, the book arrived this week and am looking forward to reading it.

ouryve Sun 10-Apr-16 21:19:11

Mine downloaded to my kindle, this week.

I'm in the middle of something altogether trashier, mind, and at the rate I'm currently reading, it should be about 2018 before I get around to this one!

ouryve Tue 14-Jun-16 22:34:14

Finally finished the other book and started on Schtum, last night. Have a feeling I might get annoyed with it, actually. I've only read the first chapter and already it's full of nonsense.

theDudesmummy Wed 15-Jun-16 12:58:11

I feel that I should read these books but somehow am reluctant to do so. My DS is a non-verbal autistic child, I have had all the usual battles and more with the authorities, people's attitudes etc. Do I want to read about it all as well? I know I should. But when I read the review for Schtum in the Guardian I thought "Oh I must read that some time" rather than actually reaching for the Amazon order button as I normally do immediately when I read a review for a book I want to read....

zzzzz Wed 15-Jun-16 13:06:49

The book you SHOULD read is Neurotribes. Our history, our people!

And once you've read it, time to champion OUR future.

MaterofDragons Wed 15-Jun-16 13:15:39

I'm halfway through A Real Boy after finishing George and Sam by Charlotte Moore.

Like thedudesmummy I don't know if I want to read/finish them. I feel I ought to but so far I feel depressed after each chapter.

zzzzz Wed 15-Jun-16 13:33:02

Pooh apologies blushblushblush that came out WAY more Braveheart than I intended blushblushblush

zzzzz Wed 15-Jun-16 13:34:31

OOOOOH not pooh! When will the torture end? brew

PolterGoose Wed 15-Jun-16 15:01:17

I haven't started Schtum yet, it's in my pile of important books to read, I keep getting distracted.

ouryve Thu 16-Jun-16 21:14:10

Neurotribes is the best book I've read on the subject for years. I've followed Steve Silberman since I joined Twitter (think he followed me first, oddly enough - I usually get dodgy rappers speculatively following me, these days!) but I was quite taken aback by his writing. And cried a lot.

I'm still finding Schtum annoying. The adults in it are assholes and I don't like the writing style. I'll give it a few more nights then might move on.

PolterGoose Thu 16-Jun-16 21:23:15

Yes, Neurotribes is incredible. Very upsetting but also uplifting.

zzzzz Thu 16-Jun-16 21:26:23

I loved Neurotribes. I've never tried Twitter, but perhaps I should, I thought it was all tweens and trying-to-be-cool politicians. grin

PolterGoose Thu 16-Jun-16 21:27:54

Twitter is interesting, and a mahoosive time waster grin

ouryve Thu 16-Jun-16 22:22:53

My twitter is angry, funny and tells me where all the traffic jams are grin

PolterGoose Fri 17-Jun-16 08:01:51

Are you describing Twitter or ds1 there? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now