Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any rules on reduced timetable for therapeutic reasons?

(6 Posts)
amunt Tue 08-Mar-16 17:57:45

Ds currently misses 3 afternoons a week to go for ABA therapy. There is no problem at the moment because he is not 5 until June. He has made such fantastic progress that I want to continue this next year when he is required to be in full time education. The school cannot argue that he would be better off in school as he currently does not learn anything - although is well cared for.

Anyone know what the rules are? Is it up to each school?
Thanks

zzzzz Tue 08-Mar-16 20:40:00

I would apply to the school direct (HT) explaining that you want ds to continue with the most excellent set up you have now as he is thriving and ask them if they will allow him to have X afternoons at ABA. They may just sign it off, they may want to have him as "part time" or they may refuse. They will need to work out how they will get the best funding for him etc etc so it's a good idea to start talking now.

blaeberry Tue 08-Mar-16 22:13:14

Does it need to be considered a reduced timetable? Couldn't the ABA afternoons be part of his education? Though they may object to this more as it implies they should be funding it and transporting him to it (which, by the sounds of things, they should be).

amunt Wed 09-Mar-16 10:01:38

Thanks guys. I have emailed the school now. so let's see. I have been fairly relaxed about his non existent academic progress so far, but if they say no, I'll be asking them to show me exactly what he has learnt this year.

Mumoftwinsandanother Sat 19-Mar-16 00:15:14

please would you let me know how you go with this. My son has ABA and at present has 1 morning off nursery a week. He doesn't reach CSA for another year but I suspect I will want to continue the ABA even when he is (although probably stand no chance of getting EHCP and funding as he is too HF). He also appears to learn very little in school.

amunt Sat 19-Mar-16 08:17:51

The school has said they can't see a problem, Mumoftwinsandanother. There's a senior management change going on atm, so will have to check with new Head when appointed, but seems it's a goer.

I'm trying to get funding with EHCP as well on the basis of no academic progress so far at school - not the fault of the teachers who do everything they can and are incredibly caring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now