Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone used Independent Support?

(10 Posts)
BathPanel Sun 06-Mar-16 13:03:11

We are about to transfer DD's Statement to an EHCP and the letter says we can have an Independent Supporter to help us with this. I'm not quite sure who they are or what they would do. Has anyone had an Independent Supporter - if so, would you recommend? I'm open to it if they are helpful, but really don't need another caring carrot in my life...ta.

enterthedragon Sun 06-Mar-16 15:53:24

Yes we are using one now, she has been/is being helpful.
PM me for more details if you wish, ours is more complicated than a straightforward transfer.

enterthedragon Sun 06-Mar-16 15:55:52

If you search your LA local offer website it should give you details on there of the independent Support available

BathPanel Sun 06-Mar-16 16:02:55

Ah ok. I have heard of the local offer, but not sure what it is either!

Do you think you would benefit from an Independent Supporter if you were just having a normal transfer, do you think? DS is at a special school, so we aren't expecting a fight or anything.

enterthedragon Sun 06-Mar-16 21:23:25

My DS is at a special school too (independent) however it's not the school that have been causing problems.

The local offer should have all the information about every school in your area, it should list all special schools, all out of area schools, it should provide a list of what support is available in your area, it should also give information on what services are available for your area.

We thought we were having a straightforward transfer but the LA have not adhered to current legislation or timelines. The transfer planning meeting has basically been called the needs assessment.

IMO it would be worth it, mainly because you will have an independent witness who will be able to give you advice.

I have been using our independent supporter to clarify points of law etc.

We were not expecting a fight but we were expecting the transfer to be completed in a timely fashion and for the EHCP to be a quality document that would serve DS well, but that hasn't happened and so far the draft plan fails to meet the expectations of the legislation.

If you Google your LA local offer (eg Bradford local offer) it should come up with it.

vjg13 Mon 07-Mar-16 16:08:47

My independent supporter covers about 3 local authorities. She has been to meet me and read the section A I have written. She will also read the draft EHCP which is already overdue. I have no confidence in the quality of what we will receive.

Enterthedragon is right, definitely worth getting in touch. IME you can use them as much or as little as you need.

mum2anxious Tue 08-Mar-16 16:15:17

Has the IS been useful in making LA do what they are supposed to, backing you? does she know her stuff, and do you feel she is totally independent and free from supping with the devil?

enterthedragon Wed 09-Mar-16 08:02:11

Yes the IS is backing me, yes she does know her stuff, so far she appears to be totally independent, whether the help, advice and support she has given me so far will make the LA do what they are supposed to do remains to be seen, that's because it's an ongoing issue. As I said for us it's not straightforward.

Remember that you can use the IS as and when you need to.

BathPanel Wed 09-Mar-16 14:36:10

Thanks for your answers. I think I will give them a call and see what I think when I talk to them. I don't really need anyone to hold my hand, I just want someone to tell me if I'm going wrong or if the LA are trying to pull a fast one, knowing we don't know anything about these new Plans.
Are they paid, trained, SEN experts??

vjg13 Wed 09-Mar-16 15:32:07

Mine is independent (not like Parent Partnership here!) but worth checking because it does vary place to place. She is paid and useful for some things. Not sure if they will beat up the LA for you though mum2anxious, not there yet but I'm sure I will be soon!

She had some examples of EHC plans which was helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now