Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Attention deficit disorder - what happens next?

(2 Posts)
dinogirl Mon 29-Feb-16 21:33:59

Hi,
Can any mums of kids with ADD/ ADHD spare me any advice about what happens in the first few months of the diagnosis process?

Backstory - my daughter is 7 years old. Has always been a handful, but is kind, intelligent, creative, sensitive and wonderful. I always just thought she was highly strung (hard to discipline, very emotional etc) however last week her teacher told me she thinks that DD has an attention deficit disorder. The reasons for this are the usual (not achieving as much as she could in school, fidgetty, doesn't seem to be listening, does not take in information in a group setting etc).

Today we saw the GP who has referred us to the community paediatrician, I am assuming for assessment. I wondered if anyone can tell me what is likely to happen next?

Having spent a lot of the weekend researching ADD/ ADHD, especially how it presents in little girls, I do think it sounds a lot like her. I am no medical professional but it is feeling like a diagnosis could happen. I am a worrier myself so having some kind of idea what is likely to happen next would be incredibly helpful, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Also, if anyone has tips on information or groups I could look into online that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Frusso Tue 01-Mar-16 15:28:40

From gp you will see a consultant paediatrician, you repeat everything you told the gp, you'll be asked a bunch of questions about what she was like as a baby, walking, talking, milestones, illnesses etc, family history, your current concerns, and the biggest issue you have at the moment.
This paediatrician then will make a decision whether to refer you on to core diagnostics team (for assessing whether a diagnosis is appropriate) or adopt a wait and see approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now