Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP Parent report

(6 Posts)
BalaBot Tue 23-Feb-16 20:55:12

Help!

I've got my head in the sand about the EHCP. All the reports are being submitted by therapists and EP etc and I've been told we can do a parental report.

Is there the equivalent of the cerebra guide to DLA for the parent report of the EHCP or can anyone give me some advice on what should go into that report?

I've just received the OT report which suggests only 7 sessions per year so I know I need to get on top of this.

DS is 4 and is currently part time SN school, but not compulsory school age until September.

zzzzz Tue 23-Feb-16 22:34:31

Read all the reports, read anything from nursery, re read your dla application if you did one, then sit down and write down EXACTLY what will help him learn and make him happy.

Re read it the next day and tweak it if necessary, then photocopy and post it.

You get a draft EHCP and can change it and jiggle it all when you get to that stage

SENMumoftwo Wed 24-Feb-16 11:07:32

I'm so glad to see this post. I've been dithering about asking this question myself.

I hadn't even thought of looking at the DLA application.

Boomingmarvellous Thu 25-Feb-16 10:48:25

What we did was look at what we wanted in terms of support and what was needed. It's not about looking at what's offered but at what the parents feel their child needs. You argue the provision offered when you get the draft ehcp.

We made a list and put the most important things first and stated our wishes regarding each heading. ie communication, physical development, social integration, support and so on.

So for communication we explained what ds's current capabilities are, what we feel has been failing, what we feel he can achieve, where he can receive the correct help (different school) and so on.

I underlined headings to paragraphs and kept it visually more readable (it went into 6 pages) as it's important your main wishes and facts are stated clearly.

Our main headings were communication, cognition, emotion, social, physical.

Boomingmarvellous Thu 25-Feb-16 10:51:00

Oh and send it recorded delivery. Keep copies of everything and organise. It's like going into battle, have a plan!

Worked for us as we have our chosen school after refusing the draft ehcp. smile

BalaBot Thu 25-Feb-16 16:12:08

Thank you for the good advice, think I am going to follow the style of the other reports and, like you say, break it down into different headings.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now