Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help with travel sickness ..

(10 Posts)
frazzledbutcalm Fri 12-Feb-16 14:23:20

Dd suffers with travel sickness on long journeys. OT has said a weighted shoulder wrap would help confused .... is this true, has anyone tried one?

PolterGoose Fri 12-Feb-16 18:02:59

It's worth a try. Proprioceptive input like you get from weight or pressure can have an astounding stabilising effect on the body, but it's hard to describe.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 12-Feb-16 19:25:45

Thanks polter (as always) wink
I'll get one. It was only mentioned in a chance comment I made. So not really discussed as such. I have no idea if dd has proprioceptive problems, no-one's talked about anything like that with us. She only saw the OT about hypermobility in her wrists, causing pain when writing. OT would't/couldn't talk/deal with anything else.

JsOtherHalf Sun 14-Feb-16 14:39:42

Would she keep acupressure straps on?

www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B006CJQ66A/ref=pd_cp_194_cr_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TS1EV6VZSC4XEE4CV5R

frazzledbutcalm Sun 14-Feb-16 17:34:03

Thanks Js .... they look great, and cheap! Not sure if she'd use them, depends if they're 'scratchy' <sigh>

I hadn't even thought of trying to control the travel sickness tbh, it was just when the OT said weighted shoulder wrap would work.

JsOtherHalf Sun 14-Feb-16 18:42:44

It's probably worth trying them. I think poundland, etc sell them. Those are fabric, so may be soft enough to tolerate.

Cookingwine Sun 14-Feb-16 20:41:15

Phenergan the night before long journeys help DDwhen she was little, she is fine now

Ilikesweetpeas Thu 18-Feb-16 22:42:26

Before you buy a weighted shoulder strap try oven gloves, the type with pockets at both ends. Put a bag of rice in both pockets. I'm a teacher in an SEN school and we often use these to give (cheap!) proprioceptive input. As a parent with a travel sick child I second the suggestion of phenergan before a long journey! It's prescription can be controversial but my GP was fine with giving it for travel sickness.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 19-Feb-16 16:49:33

I use the wristbands and find them good, I dont notice them after a few minutes!

I have found the listening to music with my eyes shut helps too! I normally drive but if I am too tired I will swap with Dp and go to sleep!

frazzledbutcalm Sat 20-Feb-16 10:09:59

I'll give them a whirl js

Cooking We use over the counter travel sickness tablets usually. Can't really say they help though tbh.

Ilike .. Oven gloves with rice, what a fab idea! I'd love to hear more of your 'remedies'.

Not sure I can let dd drive Ineed, especially with her eyes closed! grin

I think I was more surprised at the fact that travel sickness can be due to proprioception problems ... I'd never really thought about what makes someone get travel sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now