Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Really good weekend!

(8 Posts)
MargoH123 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:40:50

I just wanted to share a really good experience. DS is 8, has ASD and is our only child, so I am really overprotective. He's a really isolated child, doesn't have any friends, isn't aware of his surroundings or other human beings, getting him to say more than one word is like pulling teeth.

He's only ever been invited to two birthday parties by kids from his school, both house parties, with a large volume of children, so had to turn them both down and then he got an invite to a birthday party at a swimming pool.

DS is a great swimmer, he's utterly obsessed and it's the only thing in the world he really cares about, so although I was nervous, we accepted the invite and then I spent about two weeks internally freaking out and prepping DS for it and then when we got there, everything went far better then I could ever have hoped for.

DS managed to say Happy Birthday and hand over the present before ignoring everyone again and the other kids were so impressed with his swimming, they kept calling out to him and kept including him in all the games, which he kept winning, I've never been the Mum whose kid was the best at anything and to just be in that position for a small period of time, was bloody brilliant.

At the end of party, DS was annoyed at everyone constantly calling his name but said the swimming made up for it, so his first non family related birthday party was a success grin

reader108 Tue 09-Feb-16 12:47:13

Fantastic pleased he enjoyed it. Well done both of you.

knittingwithnettles Tue 09-Feb-16 15:17:10

I completely understand this, it is so wonderful when it happens grin Ds2 has been at a few outdoorsy things where it has just clicked. When he was five I remember him disappearing into a soft play party with a look of utter joy on his face, many family do's since then which haven;t gone quite so well cannot erase that happy memory. He very much enjoys the right sort of party now, still.

pandyandy2 Tue 09-Feb-16 19:26:09

Glad you had a lovely weekend!!!

xx

PagesOfABook Tue 09-Feb-16 21:52:11

Good for you and your DS smile

ChowNowBrownCow Wed 10-Feb-16 16:10:50

It just seems so wonderful doesnt it when you really feel good for your child. When you see that they can be valued by others and not just ourselves. Enjoy the moment and savor it, they don't happen too often with us, but when they do its an absolute delight. Well done both of you.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 10-Feb-16 16:54:48

YAY! grin Managing a party is a big thing, well done to your Ds!

BumWad Wed 10-Feb-16 16:57:44

I loved reading your post well done Margos DS smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now