Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Exclusions - "health and safety" - thoughts?

(3 Posts)
CrispyFB Tue 02-Feb-16 20:00:43

DS has been formally excluded twice (for a day each time) and informally - yes, illegally - excluded a couple more times i.e. school has rung us and begged us to pick him up.

He is four years old and has diagnosed ASD/PDA. There is no EHCP in place yet, but the process has been started. He does not yet have a one to one but the head is finally coming around to the idea.

The grounds the school gives for these exclusions and the illegal informal exclusions is "health and safety".

How reasonable is this? It's hard to argue when they say they have had to evacuate the classroom for everyone's safety when he melts down. I don't want to appear unreasonable as it's clear they're desperate, but at the same time I would like to know the law in this area!

OneInEight Wed 03-Feb-16 07:24:01

It is legal for them to exclude but as you are aware it has to be done in writing and they are not allowed to just ring you up and say please come and rescue us.

As much as anything you need that written evidence to show need for support in the EHCP application.

They are also allowed to exclude despite SN's but at the same time they should be putting support in place to avoid the need for exclusions.

Is there an IBP (Individual Behaviour Plan) in place detailing triggers /warning signs and how to de-escalate the meltdowns so that it does not get as far as the exclusion stage. We did an A4 summary ourselves which the teachers said was really useful and could pass on if there was a change of staff.

There are also lots of things they can do even without an EHCP plan to minimise risks of meltdowns e.g. careful positioning in classroom, modifying how they talk to your child, putting first or last in the classroom queue etc etc.

The sad truth is they are also allowed to permanently exclude under this situation and pupils with SN's are far more likely to be excluded than other children.

CrispyFB Fri 05-Feb-16 19:53:30

Thank you! Yes, the school has mentioned with his two formal exclusions that it will be good for the EHCP paperwork. He wasn't doing anything much worse both times he's been formally excluded, but both times we'd been talking about getting started on the EHCP (this time they actually have, hurray) so I am hoping they only did it for that reason.

We've spent quite some time going through his triggers/behaviours, and I gave them a document I'd written describing them, and also comparing his behaviours to the PDA criteria just in case they were doubting the diagnosis. They said they found it very helpful but in practice I don't know how much they've used it.

They (allegedly) do a lot of things already in the classroom which I hope makes a difference. Such as not insisting he has to sit on the carpet at carpet time, and he can stand on the table if he likes, and not making him tidy up (a big trigger). He also goes to nurture club. So they're fairly open minded at least! Things could be a LOT worse.

Next time they ask for him to be picked up early, we'll ask for it to be in writing to support his EHCP if they are legally allowed to send him home. Given they're as keen as we are to get support I guess they won't mind!

I dread to think what he will be like in Y1 sad - Reception is so laid back in comparison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now