Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could my Ds speech delay be austism?

(6 Posts)
Heather2113 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:52:26

Hi this is my first post on here, im very anxious about my DS speech delay he will be 3 in a few weeks and hasn't said any words he babbles a lot and makes sounds that sound like words, he has some understanding and will follow some simple instructions he is a very fussy eater and gets frustrated a lot. He grabs our hand and physically places your hand to what he wants. He likes to put new objects in his mouth it's like he's tasting them then will happily play with them. He hand flaps a lot and bounces up and down.he does give eye contact and will smile and laugh with you and likes to play chase. He is a very strong willed little boy which Causes a lot of tantrums when things don't go his way. He is under a pediatrician and she says he shows autistic traits and is most probably on the spectrum and could possibly have some sensory problems. I'm just so overwhelmed by it all and it sometimes it causes my husband and I to row he is our first child and it has put me off having another child as I feel sometimes I'm failing him as I don't understand what to do. My friends don't understand he comes across as a naughty boy in other people's eyes. We are waiting for our pathway appointment which could lead to a possible diagnosis any advise or strategies to help would be greatly appreciated xx

Ineedmorepatience Wed 06-Jan-16 19:25:34

Hi Heather and welcome to the board!

Your Ds' paediatrician is on the ball and is doing the right thing by referring him to the diagnostic pathway!

It is likely that he will be assessed by a multi disciplinary team which should hopefully include a speech and language therapist! The team will hopefully be able to decide whether your Ds has autism or a different condition or a developmental delay of some sort!

It is a very scary time and it is made more difficult by people judging the way you are parenting him.

One thing lots of us on this board have discovered over the yrs is that we need to parent our children in a way that works for us and them! It takes time to grow a thick skin and to have the confidence to ignore the people who want to tell you how to parent but you will get there!

You have found the best place for support! Keep coming on here and the special needs chat board for advice and support or just a chat in our virtual pub "The Goose and Carrot" [Its name is a long story wink ]

Good luck flowers

zzzzz Wed 06-Jan-16 20:04:51

I think what I needed to hear was that we would be happy. We are, he is, it's fine. Mine is the middle of siblings....I would have the family you want, be brave and grab this experience, it's a roller coaster but amazing! You get one life, live it.

Heather2113 Wed 06-Jan-16 20:58:00

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I will take a look I think non judgemental support is just what I need and to read about other people's experiences.

Your right I've got to be brave and just do what I want and having more children is one of them!

BackforGood Wed 06-Jan-16 21:09:46

I reiterate what the others have said, but also want to emphasise that you are NOT failing hi,! You've picked up that there are some issues, and you are seeking help for him. The best possible thing you can do.

2boysnamedR Wed 06-Jan-16 22:44:25

I have four kids. Two have Sen and it's fine, we are all happy. It's hard work but I'm sure four in itself is hard work.

My hospital do a course on autisum and there's a longer course (early bird) both of which are great for Austin traits as diagnosis or not the strategies help and help you understand what going on their world.

There are lots of things that are all similar and diagnosis can over lap, or your son could fall short of diagnosis criteria.

But what matters is finding what works for you. It's ok to wonder off the expected "if you just ignore him he will talk eventually" path. Find your own path.

Sorry about my spelling. Hope you get the gist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now