Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

GCSE's

(7 Posts)
aldstone Sun 03-Jan-16 17:45:22

Hi there,
I could really really do with some help. I'll try and keep it as brief as possible!
DS is 16-hr has ADHD and ASD. He's very bright and goes to a normal (if that's the right word) high school.
He spent 18 days of last term excluded-so he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth.
The issue is, he is absolutely incapable of sitting exams. His GCSE's are looming and his mocks begin next week.
The school are aware of the issues and the SENCO's have been great with him. He gets extra time and can use a laptop.
But whatever special provision is made for him it makes no difference whatsoever-he completes around 30% of the paper.
He's just done a chemistry past paper in his room and is now banging his head against the wall and screaming, such is his anxiety.
He's doing 8-the school have allowed him to drop one subject.
He wants to go to college to do a Performing Arts course, so will need to pass some of them-at least English and Maths.
How on earth do I help him through this? He hates school with such a passion that it actually breaks my heart that I have to send him, but all we have to do is get through the next 6 months and get a few passes and the world hopefully will be his oyster.
It's making me ill-what do kids at 16 do if they have no GCSE's? What are our options?
Thankyou so much for getting this far.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 03-Jan-16 17:55:22

Has he ever been medicated for his ADHD? I dont know much about it really and I know its not for everyone but he sounds desperate! As do you! sad

PolterGoose Sun 03-Jan-16 18:32:21

I was wondering if he's on med's or needs a med's review.

Can you take off all the pressure? If he doesn't sit or doesn't pass it's not the end of the world, there are other routes through education. Does he have a statement/EHCP? These go up to 25 now.

Lots of kids leave school without qualifications for all sorts of reasons. Some do a lot better in college than school and some of us are late bloomers wink

aldstone Sun 03-Jan-16 19:31:27

Thanks for replying Ineedmorepatience and PolterGoose.
He is on Methylphinadate (ritalin) but it's horrible. Totally zombifies him. But we realise it's a needs to an end. We've tried various different drugs and formulations but none of them are perfect. He realises he needs it to get through his GCSE's.
He doesn't have a statement. His OT said 2 years ago that they were very very difficult to get now?
I agree that college will be where I think, he will bloom-it's just getting him there with no qualifications that I'm concerned about.
What on earth will he do next year?

PolterGoose Sun 03-Jan-16 19:47:07

If he doesn't get his GCSEs he just starts at a lower level at college. It's really not a big deal.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 03-Jan-16 23:33:57

I agree, he could do a level 2 course for a yr! Dd2 was on a level 3 course with a couple of people who showed great potential but hadnt got the gcse's they needed and they re sat them during the first yr of the course!

Gcse's are not the be all and end all at 16!

He is only just starting his journey, dont let school make him feel a failure!

aldstone Mon 04-Jan-16 09:05:03

Thankyou both! I didn't realise this was even an option. That makes me feel a whole lot better (he still has to revise today though!! )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now