Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autistic 12 year old violent/aggressive behaviour severe LDs

(6 Posts)
Firewalkwithme Sat 02-Jan-16 15:07:09

Does anyone know what you do when your child gets into puberty and suddenly a switch turns on really bad behaviour? Our son has always been difficult and now he wants to control us and has meltdowns that last hours. He's also been aggressive towards his little brother (who is neurotypical) and even sexually inappropriate. He has no clue about sex, but has seen a couple of things on the internet because he managed to hack my ipad even though he cannot read and write. He has a social worker, but it did take him a long time to get a statement (even though his IQ is very low). Any similar experiences or ideas much appreciated thank you. I have thought about an assistance dog. I'm not sure where to get one from? And we are going to get some overnight respite (once a month). I wonder if he would be better off in a residential school but there are none in our local area.

PolterGoose Sat 02-Jan-16 15:23:40

Sounds hard flowers

My ds is also 12 and been very violent but he doesn't have LDs and we have made progress, and he's an only so we don't have the added worry of a sibling being harmed. It may be worth exploring residential options further afield and pushing 'social services' to provide more support/respite. I would definitely not get a pet in these circumstances as the risk would be too great.

ouryve Sat 02-Jan-16 15:29:04

I wouldn't get a pet, either.y parents' poor little dog is happy to see the back of my 9 and 12yo, this afternoon.

Definitely explore residential options and stress how important it is to your nt child to have a proper break from your DS and from your time and energy being dominated by him.

Firewalkwithme Sat 02-Jan-16 17:37:36

I don't think I'd get a dog tbh - mostly because I'm out during the day and it wouldn't be fair as you say. I only thought about it because some friends suggested it as someone they know had an assistance dog and they are specially trained to calm autistic kids down when they go off on one. I have been pushing the social worker about this… but everything has to go to panel. It's very concerning that he is doing all this stuff and nothing triggers it much. It's like he goes insane. It's not like we've never tried to discipline him over the years - reward charts, visual schedules, time out. None of it works. I think one of us would have to be stabbed before the social services would do anything. I'm ringing/emailing all the time.

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 00:20:19

What do you want to happen?

The health professionals in this area are the only ones who run behaviour management workshops, via learning disability nurses. Other areas run them via CAMHS. A psychiatrist could look at medication, if appropriate.

JsOtherHalf Sun 03-Jan-16 00:28:16

This might be worth a look:

www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now