Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hemispheres v Sound Learning Centre for retained reflex therapy?

(7 Posts)
sh77 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:05:41

I want to get ds's reflexes tested and am not sure which of the above I should go to. Both seem to have produced positive results based on the MN threads I have read. Any advice?

user1475844745 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:11:07

Hi I wondered if you had any responses to this and if you made a decision as I'm in a similar place with my son - unsure of which one to pursue. Thx

tartanterror Sat 08-Oct-16 20:03:31

I googled similar threads a while ago but it was difficult to find reviews. In the end we went for a Listening System at home which seems to have helped our DS a bit for sensory motor things. I think that's the key with lots of these things - they help a bit but are all really expensive so people are left thinking it went OK but can I wholeheartedly recommend the therapy? Good luck finding something that helps though.

Usernamealreadyexists Sat 08-Oct-16 20:56:04

waves at tarenterror
We have been doing retained reflex therapy with Bob Allen in Windsor. I found his name on MN but know people who have seen him. He has long waiting list.
I definitely think there's some benefit to doing it. When he tests the reflexes, he tells you what to expect if they are retained. My ds has some strongly retained ones but has made progress on others.

tartanterror Tue 11-Oct-16 07:22:13

waves back smile
I'd be interested to hear more about the RR results too

user1475844745 Wed 12-Oct-16 09:31:41

Thanks all I'm still looking at TInsley House, Sound Learning & Hemispheres for the Retained Reflexes. We are doing 10day AIT & Light therapy through the sound Learning Cemtre over half-term which is expensive but we live local so hopefully that will help with my son's APD and then we will embark on RR therapy after a gap I believe which seems to be recommended....
Also following aspects of Robin Pauc's Brain Food Plan for over 2 weeks which has bought small but positive changes after the first week of meltdowns from my son😅
Love to hear how you are all getting on - I'm also looking at body brushing to be incorporated ideally - any feedback on Wilbarger welcome.

Usernamealreadyexists Sat 15-Oct-16 10:28:22

Hi
Please keep us posted on SLC results.
With our RR guy, we have had two brushing exercises (fine strokes with a paintbrush 1 not sure if this is the same as Wilbarger) to do and it seems to calm DS massively in his behaviour and is more compliant. We don't have any meltdowns or tantrums (only when blood sugar is low). I think it's made him more able to cope with sensory issues. I'm sure it's had a positive impact on hand eye coordination- 3 months ago he was barely forming letters and now is getting near full marks in spelling tests using cursive. It's as if blockages in him are being opened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now