Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

HELP: 8 year old poo question!

(32 Posts)
Javabeansaintgeorge Sat 10-Oct-15 18:04:57

How do i deal with this, he is 8 and in nappies.
over the last few weeks he's started running off to his room to go poo. I don't trust him at all as he is a child who smears if left for a few minutes, so far i have been pretty lucky.
I've been trying to catch him and bring him back into the room i am in, but sometimes its hard to tell when he's going up to get something or going to poo.

Has anyone gone through this situation, how do i stop it?

zzzzz Sat 10-Oct-15 18:29:04

I think going to poo in a separate room is good and a step forward. It takes planning and is surely more appropriate than doing it as and when?

PolterGoose Sat 10-Oct-15 18:44:06

Yes, agree with zzzzz, knowing he needs a poo and going off to do it in private is surely a huge developmental leap? I'd be working with him to get him to take himself to the bathroom as surely that's a more sensible step then encouraging him back to you?

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 11-Oct-15 08:31:05

As the others have said don't stop him Pooing in private, it's a normal thing to do, it's not nice having an audience.
I understand the issue though, you need to find a way to restrict access to the nappy rather than restrict where he uses it.

Piratejones Mon 12-Oct-15 12:07:04

I've had smearing before, the only way you can stop it is to wait near whatever room your child is in and rush in as soon as he is finished.

I've used dungarees, onsies, popper-vests and all sorts but none are perfect, if he's determined to get into his nappy he will.

Javabeansaintgeorge Thu 15-Oct-15 14:35:24

Thank you all for replaying. I understand Him running into his bedroom for "privacy" might seem like a leap when explained like it is in my first post but he can't be left to himself when he's going poo, it will be over the walls if i let him go unsupervised.

I'm at a total loss until i can get smearing sorted i can't leave him.

zzzzz Thu 15-Oct-15 16:06:49

I think we all understand, but could it not be a step towards more mainstream toilet habits? I think polts idea about directing him towards the bathroom is a good one.

Javabeansaintgeorge Sat 17-Oct-15 20:33:11

Thank you. I will try that.

Javabeansaintgeorge Tue 17-Nov-15 17:27:50

sorry for resurrecting this old thread but i'd like to give my thanks, it's taken a whole month but he finally takes himself into the bathroom and pulls me along too.

zzzzz Tue 17-Nov-15 18:01:09

WONDERFUL!!!! You absolute superstars.

Thank you so much for updating. You must be feeling Mrs Smug of Smugsville you clever thing.gringrin

PirateJones Tue 17-Nov-15 18:17:19

Yay, Well done to you both!

grin

The next big step, when you are both settled with going to the bathroom, is getting him to take the paper, wipe over his nappy and flush, then get changed.

PolterGoose Tue 17-Nov-15 18:52:20

That's brilliant, and very quick progress, well done star

Javabeansaintgeorge Mon 15-Aug-16 16:52:40

He's still going to bathroom for poo and sit on the toilet. but if i take the nappy off he just sits, he can't grasp poo goes into the toilet.

How do i tackle this step?

youarenotkiddingme Mon 15-Aug-16 16:58:11

I didn't see this thread originally but well done on taking advice and making it work so quickly!

Is it that he likes the feel of something in his skin to poo i wonder?
I wondering whether a bed may over toilet (same feeling) but no nappy may work for a transition?

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 15-Aug-16 17:20:18

I think Youare is on to something. When you poo in a nappy you tend to get the sensory feedback, not just from the poo but also the nappy. This is missing when you go in the toilet.

he might also not like the idea of the water splashing.

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 15-Aug-16 17:24:08

how about cutting a hole in the nappy?

Javabeansaintgeorge Mon 22-Aug-16 15:36:52

will try that thank you

Hedgyhoggy Mon 22-Aug-16 19:30:16

Does he wee on the toilet, this usually comes before pooing?

Javabeansaintgeorge Tue 23-Aug-16 14:26:59

no he doesn't wee yet.

Javabeansaintgeorge Fri 09-Sep-16 08:55:12

We are still at the same stage unfortunately, he goes to the toilet and will poo while sitting, or while in the room but does nothing while the nappy is off.

should he be able to tell us when he is done, i'm still having to have a peak down the back of the nappy and check, can singing for finished be possible?

Javabeansaintgeorge Fri 09-Sep-16 08:56:03

That should be signing for finished

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 09-Sep-16 10:23:57

should he be able to tell us when he is done, i'm still having to have a peak down the back of the nappy and check, can singing for finished be possible?

If you can teach him to sign, it's a very good idea. That way you can ask if he's messy / wet or finished. There is nothing wrong with checking it though. In my experiance it doens't matter what you answer you tend to still be checked.

Manicmonkey Fri 09-Sep-16 16:32:38

He came a long way in a very short time, don't push the issue too much now.

And yes looking down the back of the nappy to check is fine even in oldere children.

Jadenruby Sat 10-Sep-16 14:38:50

A sneaky peak is the most discrete way of checking an older childs nappy.

Javabeansaintgeorge Sun 11-Sep-16 15:46:01

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now