Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"I Can refer you to Parenting Classes if you like?"

(18 Posts)
Piratejones Mon 14-Sep-15 15:14:23

Thank you Mrs Social worker, Do you do very specific parenting classes that are aimed at my child? I'm in need of:

"what to do when your child throws his nappies out of the bathroom window and into the neighbors yard in the middle of the night"
"is still refusing to enter the classrooms at school!"
"What to do when you child bites his occupational therapist"
"Opens his sippy cup up then SCREAMS because he has poured the water on his face."
"What to do when your child won't get in the bath because the water isn't wet enough."

I might have ranted today. I need wine

Obs2015 Mon 14-Sep-15 15:31:28

Stupid people!!

InimitableJeeves Mon 14-Sep-15 16:15:10

I wonder if there is anyone on MN that runs these classes? I get it that there are some parents who need it, but really when the child concerned has SN of which the course leader has little or no experience or knowledge, wouldn't you want to bow out and tell the SW that you have no intention of insulting the parent concerned by trying to tell them how to parent their child?

zzzzz Mon 14-Sep-15 19:26:29

You're doing well pirate. thanks

Ineedmorepatience Mon 14-Sep-15 21:28:24

Keep breathing pirate flowerswinecake

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 15-Sep-15 18:13:53

flowers

shazzarooney99 Tue 15-Sep-15 18:35:58

It is really partonising when they mention parenting courses isnt it? its just a shame they dont offer specific courses for parents of children with Sen.

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 15-Sep-15 19:30:53

What was this social workers reaction, I hope it was more "I understand"?

Piratejones Wed 16-Sep-15 08:30:23

More like I can see where he gets it from Jason. Our old social worker used to be so good, this new one has very little experience with anything really.

OneInEight Wed 16-Sep-15 09:11:31

Just to say whilst I would / did have your reaction to general parenting class we did actually have some useful 1:1 sessions from a charity called Spurgeon's after referral from SS. Much more useful because they were tailored to the specific problems we were having and yes, some of the advice was generic but it did help us think about how we were handling certain situations and how we could improve them. So if you are offered this then don't automatically dismiss it.

Bogburglar99 Wed 16-Sep-15 09:21:59

I do think someone could make a fortune with parenting classes that actually address the issues you mention! 'how to get your 9 year old who has suddenly decided hes not going to school today to even put his pants on' was this mornings chez BogBurglar ...

I know it isn't quite your situation (have I remembered right you are caring for your nephew?) but Sally Donovans Unofficial Guide to Adoptive Parenting is the funniest and most realistic parenting book I have read on a related subject, and actually has some bloody good advice for parenting children who have been through early trauma.

Javabeansaintgeorge Tue 17-Nov-15 17:26:15

I second "sally Donovans Unofficial Guide to Adoptive Parenting". It's a great book, not just for adopted parents but carers in general can relate.

CrispyFB Tue 17-Nov-15 19:50:24

Ha! Yep. Preschool very seriously recommending me a course on "Parenting Boys" (they'd even got me a leaflet) after I called a meeting to ask for a report to take to my GP on his behaviour. Their reasoning being I already had two very well behaved girls, so evidently my son's issues were entirely down to the fact that "boys are very different" so I was doing it all wrong and I was being paranoid.

I did actually go to the Children's Centre to ask about the course just to keep preschool happy. After a few minutes talking to a member of staff there about DS, she told me to just go straight to my GP and the course would be useless for me (which I already knew!)

Thankfully the school nursery that he attended in the mornings were somewhat more on the ball, and we got our ASD diagnosis shortly after! Now I go on rather more useful courses like "Managing Anger with ASD" grin

PirateJones Thu 04-Feb-16 01:43:22

Preschool very seriously recommending me a course on "Parenting Boys"

That's very nice of them, a patronizing suggestion topped off with sexism dressed up as help.

We should start a game where we see how many boxes we can tick after talking to our schools.

Youarentkiddingme Thu 04-Feb-16 20:45:15

I actually did a course on "boys" - it was very enlightening! It was about boys, early years and writing/reading rather than a parenting course though.

Sounds frustrating pirate could you ask her for a plan of the classes and the specific things they cover so you can check it will meet your needs? Then evidence why you are saying thanks but no thanks.

PirateJones Fri 05-Feb-16 16:25:14

That's a good idea Youare

Youarentkiddingme Fri 05-Feb-16 16:39:46

Can you tell Ive got out of many a class that way grin

CrazyLoopholeInTimeAndSpace Fri 05-Feb-16 17:29:40

Jin our area there are a few groups that run classes like the one crispy mentions. They can be quite helpful. They also run courses on dealing with the ehcp process.

I went to a few, the school knew and still referred me for general parenting classes. Idiots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now