Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Early bird course - no crèche, no childcare!

(6 Posts)
2boysnamedR Fri 11-Sep-15 18:16:42

Toddler gets home via SN bus at 12.20 and I have a toddler.

Been offered a place with seven days notice!

I have no one to ask but I'm now considering ringing social services for assesment of respite / emergency care.

Thoughts? I have a tribunal in six weeks but I don't know what else to do?

2boysnamedR Fri 11-Sep-15 18:17:51

Sorry - it's 10-12.30 for 12 weeks 15 miles from home

PolterGoose Fri 11-Sep-15 19:40:49

Could you ask nursery to keep him an extra hour those days? I would talk to the course organisers first, ours was run by someone in the children's autism team and a disabled children's social worker and I think they'd have gone above and beyond to enable parents to attend. Is your dh attending? Dp's employers gave him paid time off to do it.

2boysnamedR Fri 11-Sep-15 20:17:11

Is it worth doing polter? I don't think nursery is a option as there's no kids there11.46-12.15. It's a asd setting so the staff need lunch.

It's run by portage as far as I can tell. DH work used to be great for stuff like this but not any more.

You'd think they want parents to attend but I wasn't offered a per course de brief and then given seven days to sort non existent childcare

PolterGoose Fri 11-Sep-15 20:37:42

a week isn't really long enough to make arrangements is it?

I had mixed feelings about it, ds was older so we did Early Bird Plus, it was really good for dp who hadn't read loads like I had, we found out about local stuff which was handy, and we got to see some real life resources which helped me find ways to help ds better. It was unfortunate that there were only 3 families on it and the other 2 had children with very different presentations to ds and were in a very supportive school so had less of the anxiety stuff we were dealing with. Probably the greatest thing it gave me was confidence that I knew what I was doing! What I didn't like was the whole focus on visuals for everything, and the underlying premise of our children somehow being alien to us, it was very othering and there was no recognition, explicit or otherwise, that parents might themselves be autistic wink

2boysnamedR Fri 11-Sep-15 21:18:14

I think quite a few of the parents at the asd school might share some traits with me ;0)

I feel totally at ease around my toddler even when he's being a loon. Maybe mostly because he's three so people expect toddlers to be - interesting....

Ah nuts. No idea what to do now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now