Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chewable Toys?

(4 Posts)
LadyNym Sun 16-Aug-15 10:50:28

DS1 (three) is currently undergoing DX for ASD. I've been struggling a lot with him recently and in a bid to do something proactive I've been trying to make a sort of sensory kit for him (I strongly suspect he has SPD). I got him a beanbag as he spends a lot of time sort of rolling around on the sofa. I got him some ear defenders (though, he's not quite at an age where he understands when/how to use them yet). I've got a few stretchy toys, soft blankets, tangle toys etc., too.

But, when I caught him chewing on an elastic band this morning I suddenly realised it would be good to get a couple of things to chew on (and who knows, maybe it'll help with his spitting). Having looked around there's a lot to choose from (chewable pendants, 'grabbers', those wand type things etc. and I'm not sure what to go for.

Are there any chewable toys anyone would recommend for a three year old (or even avoid) to help me narrow down the options?

PolterGoose Sun 16-Aug-15 12:17:53

I think at his age I'd go for something bigger rather than the more dainty chewy 'jewellery', at least at first anyway, something like this

Baby teethers are good too, and there's loads of funky non-babyish ones these days too, like this

youarekiddingme Sun 16-Aug-15 14:34:29

The chewy chews are good. Ds have the chewy tab. It's very thick and fairly hard.

I suggest attaching to a lanyard or one of those dummy clips.

LadyNym Sun 16-Aug-15 16:32:51

Thank you both. I've ordered one of the chewy chew type ones and I'll see how he gets on with it. I might also look through some of DS2's toys to see what teethers he has (since he doesn't really use them, anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now