Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What is TALC and Level 3 what does it mean?

(5 Posts)
hutchblue Sun 28-Jun-15 18:29:20

DD has just been assessed at her primary school. She is Year 2.

They said she did well on 1, 2 and 4 of the TALC picture assessment but on level 3 not so well, she got 12 out of a possible 17 and the pass mark was 14.

I read on another thread, that children that struggle with level 3 may have ASD. Could someone confirm? Is this the case?

I've often wondered if there is something going on, as she's never really made any friends at school despite lots of playdates. I always end up having to try and direct her to 'play' or otherwise I find her off on her own reading her Kindle and the little girl wanting to play with me.

At school they've asked if she'd like to play with someone in the playground but she says she likes being alone and is not lonely.

She has seemed very happy at school, except recently when she's become aware she is frequently over-looked due to huge shyness on her part, so when there are chances to take on roles/do fun things/hold exciting animals etc, she doesn't get to do them. She can't/won't speak up. I've noticed it's starting to affect her confidence.

What is coming next? What can I do to help her? Since the assessment I've not heard anything further from the school but it was only last week.

Is this more than speech and language therapy?

Please can you be honest with me.

Tissie Sun 28-Jun-15 19:34:45

At the moment it is nothing more than a test of understanding of abstract language which your DD only missed the "pass" mark by 2 points. On another day she may well pass with flying colours. The information provided by the test should help DD's teacher to plan activities and work to develop her language. If there is a TA in the class she could be directed to help.

As she is becoming aware of missing out on things you could do some work with her using social stories and drama sessions to act out what she should do. Start small with a situation/person she's comfortable with.

You could google a support group called Ican to find ways to support her language.

I doubt the school plans to go any further unless they have significant other concerns and in any case they should contact you to discuss. Where do you live? I am a retired special needs teacher with expertise in dyslexia, ASD and speech & language and currently support a boy with ASD.

If there is any way I can offer further help please let me know.

hutchblue Sun 28-Jun-15 20:09:03

Hi Tissie

Many thanks for your view of things with regards to DD. I also thought she 'only' missed it by 2 marks but wasn't sure if I was just clutching at straws. One of the pictures they showed her was someone about to get dressed for the morning with all the clothes out and she couldn't say what time of day it was or anything further on that picture.

I found that odd as she knows all about that kind of stuff and I wondered if she had just misunderstood the question in some way so thank you for your reassurance to flip my view on it.

I do notice she does struggle with re-telling a story and generally getting her words out and this delay in speaking and being able to verbalise how she's feeling is slowing down her ability to make friendships and really 'be' in the moment.

We live in SW London if that's at all close to you. I would really welcome help on social stories and situations and modelling and helping her find the right ways to speak up.

We're thinking of trying her out at Stagecoach next September but I'm very worried it might be too much for her with all those bouncy confident kids. She does really come out of her shell though when she's dancing and singing. Like a different child. Drama though she finds harder and when we've tried other drama schools in the past, towards the end of the term she loses interest as she doesn't enjoy the drama and 'show' part of it and the singing and dancing take on less importance. I'm hoping as she grows older and understands the whole point of it, she'll want to have another go. Thinking of taking her to see Matilda as a special treat over the summer holidays as she loves all the songs and the film and the book.

Thank you again

wasuup2014 Mon 29-Jun-15 10:20:38

If you are concerned about ASD ask your GP to refer to a Paediatrician or whoever does the assessments in your area for ASD. The assessment it sounds like you need a speech and language therapits to carry out is the CELF (not sure if they have a CELF 5 out now) and pragmatic language assessments. Have a look on the NAS website for information ect to look out for as well.

Tissie Mon 29-Jun-15 13:24:47

Hi Hutchblue
Unfortunately I live in Wells in Somerset and don't really go into London. However, if you ever fancied a visit to Wells perha[s during the summer holidays, the nearest train station is Castle Cary or Bristol and I could meet you. You could stay over the night if wanted.
I do have a lot of resources and experience of working with children with language issues/ASD and would happi;t demonstrate. However, if you are worried about your daughter talk first to the school and then as Wassup2014 suggests your GP. A speech and language therapist (frequently referred to as SALT) could carry out a full assessment using CELF which is a diagnostic tool only qualified therapists can use.
It's a lovely idea to take her to see Matilda but Stagecoach might be too big a jump for her but you can only try it and see.
I can send you some resources to try out if you want. You'll need to contact me via email on lauren@somersetman.com If you are concerned about who I am you could contact Colston's Girls' School in Bristol and ask about me. I've just retired form the position as Inclusion Manager/Senco there.
Best wishes
Lauren

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now