Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Son turning into a cat

(11 Posts)
frankiebuns Sun 28-Jun-15 10:45:44

My ds 4 who has suspected aspergers has difficulty coping with situations and has been known to regress or stop speaking for days he stopped speaking at pre school for 6 months but his new thing is being a cat he refuses to walk he crawls around meows only meows answers he even went round morrions being a cat crawling around help

PolterGoose Sun 28-Jun-15 11:20:08

It'll pass, and you'll remember it fondly one day smile

(mine was Pingu for a while!)

BatFoxHippo Sun 28-Jun-15 19:20:46

I used to be a dog smile. Its quite common with children with ASC apparently. I suppose being a human being can get a bit much sometimes and the role of cat/dog/penguin seems a bit more simple and manageable.

Can you give him lots of cat time at home?

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Jun-15 19:22:28

Mine was a horse for a while, wouldn't even answer to his name, we had to call him horsey, lol.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 19:26:01

I'll go against the grain here. We were advised to gently discourage. Good advice. It can take over very easily and is not conducive to encouraging communication.

PolterGoose Sun 28-Jun-15 19:26:07

grin

We even had nursery calling ds 'Pingu', he wouldn't answer to anything else!

PolterGoose Sun 28-Jun-15 19:27:27

The grin was for Bat and tab

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Jun-15 19:35:42

Toffee - I humoured him, and called him horsey (I mean, not even a horse's name, just horsey, lol) he's 19 now, he hasn't cantered round neighing for a very very long time...so while yes, I think that is a valid point, it's also not something I'd stress over too much.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 19:41:20

I thought it was harmless until "doggy" bit someone. After that we got rid of doggy and stepped up the work on communication

zzzzz Sun 28-Jun-15 22:36:11

arf Bambi here grin startled the paediatrician a little as he was prone to jumping and twitching when nervous grin....and saying "flower" a lot.

I liked it, so really only discouraged Bambi when he got a bit random when walking by busy roads

Who advised you toffee and why wasn't it conducive to encouraging communication? (that reads like I'm being arsey....I'm just curious and can't think of another way of asking)

frankiebuns Wed 01-Jul-15 12:43:19

Thankyou hes been at it days getting wearing now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now