Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Child with autism mirroring behaviour, why? Or should I say when?

(5 Posts)
Frusso Tue 23-Jun-15 21:47:21

Why does she do it? Or rather i don't think I mean why as in why, but rather why as in why now?

As a bit of background She's 7 and has always done into an extent, she'll reinact TV programs with her toys, or once reinacted a funeral scene at school, complete with reading, flowers and crying, (I have no idea where she got that from).
But now she's mirroring behaviours she's seen other children display, she's done it once before where she started hand flapping when excited, it's not one of her stims, but it was for another child in her class.

Now she has changed schools a month back (ss to ss) but to all intents and purposes she's settled well, and has fitted right in.

At home however her behaviours have intensified, she'll argue over the tiniest things, but her reaction to being told no, or later, is going through the roof, and many things she is doing is just not her, a large number of them are mirrored behaviours. And quite frankly I'm struggling to deal with them because they're outside of her normal responses that I can manage.

But my question is, why is she doing it? Could she be stressed and she can't verbalise what is bothering her? Or is she testing new ideas to see how I respond? Because at the moment it's not very well.

PolterGoose Tue 23-Jun-15 22:01:02

The copying is a way of learning, in the same way babies and toddlers learn by imitation.

7 is a funny age, it was when I noticed a huge chasm appear between ds and his typical peers development.

Have you looked at PDA strategies for the demand avoidance?

Frusso Tue 23-Jun-15 22:33:28

Not recently polter I probably should refresh myself.
I did look into pda a year or so ago, but got confused because she will back down (eventually) when confronted. But that said we get further when she thinks she's getting her own way.
but sometimes something can't happen, (like carebears isn't on TV, or she wants it to be Thursday on Tuesday) and she goes off the rails.

Frusso Tue 23-Jun-15 22:45:09

polter you're a genius.

Just read something on pda, and all her current behaviours are linked in together, in social manipulation because she's anxious about loss of control. Which makes perfect sense, and fits with the change of school, because she's lost the control that she had previously.
Now to look at how to deal with it.

Thank you.

PolterGoose Wed 24-Jun-15 07:28:54

Glad to have helped, good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now