Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Testing for ADHD

(9 Posts)
Everythinghappensforareason1 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:04:10

Background is..

We had a camhs referall last year, got an appointment then moved to a different area. Cancelled appointment.

Gave my child a few months to adjust and still have the same problem with attention and focus (lots of other things but to long to list). Had an appointment on fri, tried refering her to a counselling for behaviour I said this is not what I want (behaviour only an issue 10% of the time) finally got docotr to refer to camhs. Then get a phone call on Monday. I miss the call so i ring the doctors back and the doctor is not available to speak to and there are notes on my daughters file stating cannot refer to camhs child does not qualify for an assessment. Left message with receptionist for doctor to call me back to explain further and doctor not returned the call. I want to be well informed tomorrow when I speak to doctor. Should doctor be referring to camhs? Especially as had a referral by other doctor preciously. Is it camhs that diagnosise ADHD ?

I would be grateful for any advice

bbkl Tue 09-Jun-15 22:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Everythinghappensforareason1 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:41:43

Hi bbkl

That's interesting, thanks for the advice. So to self refer you just ring up the relevent department you require?

bbkl Tue 09-Jun-15 23:58:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Wed 10-Jun-15 00:01:35

It varies area to area.
Where I live, you wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting an appt with CAMHS, but dc with ADHD diagnoses have received them from a paediatrician at the the CDC.
School can refer in.

But, as I say, it varies area to area.

2catsfighting Wed 10-Jun-15 00:14:37

How old is your child?

Everythinghappensforareason1 Wed 10-Jun-15 05:42:57

Thank you everyone, I will look into it today.

My child has just turned 8.

Sirzy Wed 10-Jun-15 05:53:06

Ds has just been referred to camhs for an asd diagnosis by peads, locally the wait is 12 months to see camhs.

It seems to vary area to area on the processes so you may find that the behaviour appointment would act as a sort of gateway to getting further into the system. Perhaps start by asking the GP what the process is locally and talk to the senco at school who should know to.

orangepudding Wed 10-Jun-15 09:07:39

Your GP may be able to refer your child to the community Paeds for assesment. It differs in areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now