Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Discretionary funding for 1:1 at nursery - but no time for 3 mins a day 1:1!

(7 Posts)
2boysnamedR Fri 15-May-15 19:23:53

I went into nursery this morning as it's was ds first visit from SLT. The improvement manager came as well.

We looked at ds ISP and his key worker was asked how he's getting on with targets. They aren't working on them much was the gist I got. They haven't start visual timetables yet but we talked about that target in jan!

The slt asked if his key worker could do 3 minutes a day with a high intensity box. On joint attention. She wasn't sure she could manage to fit it in.

He gets 15 hours a week funding for 1:1! He is in for only in 15 hours. I emailed the nursery improvement manager who wasn't impressed either.

We needed a room so went to the kitchen and asked for two minutes to demonstrate the SLT. Then got kicked out after 30 seconds as the chef was pissed off with us. But the slt was all booked weeks ago. I can see why the chef was huffy but why not sort a room before. It's not rocket science.

I'm going to ask where the hell this money goes if they can't staff 3 minutes a day 1:1. I have overheard this before when the improvement manager was trying to get a key worker to sit in to discuse his ISP. The manager said she couldn't spare staff due to ratios confused so clearly that 1:1 must go into company profits.

I am livid and hurt. Luckily he's going somewhere else in September but that's a whole year of funding and now after today I don't believe he gets any 1:1 ever. So disappointed as it's such a waste. He could have gone somewhere where they would have used that 1:1 money..... On 1:1! sad

Ineedmorepatience Fri 15-May-15 19:28:01

What a shame 2boys The one to one should have been able to work on the targets and do the 3 mins a day!! My guess is she is being used for other stuff in the room which is so wrong sad

This nursery had an opportunity to start this early intervention and they havent taken it!! Its rubbish sad

2boysnamedR Fri 15-May-15 21:05:05

I'm going to write a complaint tonight. I was going to send my dd there when I went back to work but not after this.

They clearly don't put the kids first

cansu Fri 15-May-15 22:04:39

I think that is bloody scandalous. The LEA should have been on their case to make sure the money was being spent appropriately on your ds. Write that letter and make sure it is copied in to the lea, early years advisory team and anyone else you think might be interested.

ouryve Fri 15-May-15 23:01:54

FFS, every child in nursery should be getting 3 minutes 1:1 attention.

senvet Fri 15-May-15 23:25:56

Definitely write a complaint to LA's SEN team explaining how their money is being wasted and their 1 to 1 filched to cover "ratios".

It will make a change for the LA to find you are on the same side as them, battling to stop the LA's money being wasted!

2boysnamedR Fri 15-May-15 23:28:52

I'm thinking of contacting ofsted tbh. I had no idea he was entitled to full time 1:1 and no idea he couldn't be spared 3 minutes.

He's got asd and totally non verbal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now