Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social stories for more complex situations?

(15 Posts)
bbkl Wed 11-Feb-15 14:49:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkponiesandachocchipcookie Wed 11-Feb-15 15:53:36

check out "comic strip conversations" carol grey.

Goes beyond simple social stories and via drawing and words they help you work through scenarios and alternative interpretations and what was the subtext to this situation.

Really useful with my child with ASD when they have misinterpreted someone's words or intentions.

Well worth a couple if pounds off amazon market place imho.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 11-Feb-15 18:19:05

I have used comic strip conversations with Dd3 too. She refused to engage with social stories but was more accepting of the comic strips, maybe because we had a laugh over my dodgy drawings!!

youarekiddingme Wed 11-Feb-15 20:13:12

I've just been recommended comic strip pconversations to as a tool for reactions to others. Also been suggested we use characters rather than DS himself as he shuts down.

Branleuse Wed 11-Feb-15 20:25:36

Whereabouts are you. I would maybe email carol gray, or siobhan timmins, who has worked closely with Carol gray, and runs courses about social stories s.timmins2 @ ntlworld. com

spaced it to avoid spammers getting the addy

Branleuse Wed 11-Feb-15 20:26:09

she is excellent btw

bbkl Wed 11-Feb-15 21:57:07

streakybacon Thu 12-Feb-15 17:15:02

I have the NAS notes on writing your own social stories. It's a much simpler way than the Carol Gray method. I have written dozens of complicated social stories for my son over the years (he doesn't use them now, has outgrown the concept) but I might be able to give you some tips.

What kind of scenarios were you thinking of?

One thing most people forget is that you should make half your stories positive ones to reflect achievement. These are the ones that you should use to introduce the idea to get your child used to the format, then develop for problematic situations you want to correct.

PM me if you want to know more, and if you want the NAS notes.

bbkl Thu 12-Feb-15 22:41:54

bbkl Thu 12-Feb-15 22:43:34

streakybacon Fri 13-Feb-15 06:48:24

I could give you samples of things I've done with ds that were similar (other people's interests, for example) and it might give you some ideas on how to adapt to your dd's situations.

I'm sure there will be positive things you could write stories about. I used to do one every time ds got a swimming level or karate belt, or if he'd done a kind thing, or handled a situation well, or helped with a housework chore. You can always find something smile.

I think it's far better to write your own rather than get samples from books or the internet - the need to be very personal if they're to engage the child. Ds liked his VERY busy too, lots of graphics and the font had to be right wink.

bbkl Fri 13-Feb-15 09:04:02

bbkl Fri 13-Feb-15 09:09:40

streakybacon Fri 13-Feb-15 11:43:54

It's really not that hard to write good social stories. The trick is to find a style that suits the child and once you've got that, they just flow.

More later - busy day today I'm afraid smile.

BCalmBchilled Fri 29-May-15 16:27:12

Hi Just wondering about comic strips. Has anyone got the hang of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now