Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Potty training fail.

(28 Posts)
Hurr1cane Sat 23-Aug-14 18:14:24

DS is 8 with autism, severe learning difficulties and other 'stuff'

. He had no control over his bladder, so recently the paediatrician prescribed him ditropan.

It really seemed to be working, he started having full wees instead of just the constant dribble he usually has. This lasted 2-3 weeks. He was getting through the day off only 1-2 accidents a day and I was over the moon.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, it all stopped, he is still on the medicine but has suddenly started the constant dribble again, no control, either he goes and sits on the toilet every 2 minutes, or he dribbles away in his pants hmm

It's fucking up his confidence again.

I haven't been able to get hold of the paed, and now it's bank holiday.

I was hoping when he went to his dads this Saturday it would magically get better with a change of scenery. But no, I was kidding myself, his bladder isn't working properly again.

Should I put him back in nappies again till I get something sorted with his paed?

I'm heartbroken for him.

Piratejones Sat 23-Aug-14 18:23:25

you could try with pads first, if it's a light but constant drip might be better than a nappy.

Hurr1cane Sat 23-Aug-14 18:24:11

What are pads? We just get tena nappies from the continence team

Piratejones Sat 23-Aug-14 18:28:11

incontinence pads that fit inside underpants.

Hurr1cane Sat 23-Aug-14 18:41:24

I haven't heard of them. Can I buy them myself?

Jasonandyawegunorts Sat 23-Aug-14 19:34:30

hmm
Are you honestly saying that you've never heard of incontinence pads and in 8 years not one doctor, continence Nurse, Friend or professional has mentioned them?

And you've somehow missed the "light bladder weakness" adverts in magazine and on TV?

They have never been suggested to you as boosters for regular nappies?

Hurr1cane Sat 23-Aug-14 21:04:10

I don't watch TV really. I don't have time in the day and only occasionally watch things on catchup.

No. Not one doctor has even bothered trying to do anything at all until I practically demanded it.

I only got regular nappies after fighting tooth and nail for them last year. I was using pull ups before then and they don't hold poo in very well

In fact after 4 years of brain regressions they're only just doing proper research and sending DS to professionals, and that was only because it came to light this year that his brain scan he had in 2011 that they said was 'clear' actually wasn't.

I do my best. On my own, with a child who works so hard but gets all his skills snatched away from him every 6 months because his brain randomly fails.

I'm in no way an expert.

PolterGoose Sat 23-Aug-14 22:09:37

Hurr1cane flowers sounds like you've been treated appallingly. Has ds had comprehensive medical tests to be sure what's going on? I'm guessing you know about eric?

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 02:03:20

No I hadn't heard of that! I'll give them a ring on Tuesday! Thank you

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 24-Aug-14 02:24:15

The way you have been treated is disgusting.

www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/disposable-incontinence-products/discreet-shaped-pads/lille-healthcare-suprem-light-mini-200ml-pack-of-28.html

I've used these before, as a night-time booster not in the day, but i assume they would be okay.

Piratejones Sun 24-Aug-14 07:05:34

I'm a bit late with this reply, but they are like sanitary towels, slip them inside his.pants and they will absorb any drips.

I know.you've explained his.regression every few months but do the skills you teach eventually stick?

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 07:46:29

Well, it's like 4 steps forward, 3 steps back, so he is moving forward, but at a snails pace. It takes him a year to learn what I would teach a reception class in a week.

Piratejones Sun 24-Aug-14 07:48:32

but he does have the ability, so he will get there in the end.

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 08:11:09

He does. He can use the toilet. He knows full well how, but he can't control his dribbling bladder.

It was so good when the medicine worked, I don't understand how it's just stopped working now hmm

Piratejones Sun 24-Aug-14 08:22:52

with a lot of medication your body can build up a resistance over time so the effect wears off and the dosage needs to be upped.

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 08:31:08

After 3 weeks though hmm

I thought it was one that would strengthen his bladder and make it stay strong, that's how it was sold to me

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Sun 24-Aug-14 10:16:35

Could he have a wee infection?

If you can catch a bit of wee in a sterile bottle (from GP or chemist) the practice nurse or doctor can do a dipstick test and send it

MeirAiaNeoAlibi Sun 24-Aug-14 10:19:17

In fact, the chemist can probably tell you more about the meds as well

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 10:29:28

No I doubt he does have. He's been like this years and we've had about 700 urine tests because every bloody time I went they said 'well we have to rule out a urine infection' it was ruled out, then I got the follow up appointment 3 months later and they'd say 'well we have to rule out a urine infection'

Arrrgggghhhh. hmm

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 24-Aug-14 13:38:01

Is it a sensory processing problem?

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 20:37:54

No because with the medicine he could control his bladder at first, he was having full wees. But it seems to have failed and now it's just leaking wee again

tempe48 Sun 24-Aug-14 20:41:10

You can get pads from the incontinence service.

DD was assessed by them, when she started being incontinent during seizures. She got to try different types to try out at home, until she settled on pull ups for most of the time, and incontinence pads for when she is wearing jeans. (She prefers to wear pull ups than have the embarrassment of wetting herself, but she is self conscious about them being visible above jeans.) We get deliveries from Tena every 3 months.

Hurr1cane Sun 24-Aug-14 20:54:10

We aren't allowed pull ups from the continence team, I will ask about pads though! They never offered this when we met.

Piratejones Mon 25-Aug-14 14:45:00

is there a reason you aren't allowed pullups?

Hurr1cane Mon 25-Aug-14 17:55:45

They aren't provided by the continence service

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now