Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I don't understand how to find a bloody ABA tutor. Am in essex if that makes a difference

(16 Posts)
WaveorCheer Wed 20-Aug-14 22:07:22

How do I find one? I've never done this before.

Why does every step have to be so bloody complicated <rhetorical, no need to answer hmm>

sammythemummy Thu 21-Aug-14 09:18:00

Hi

Don't dispear, I was having trouble the first few days. Sign yourself up for the aba uk yahoo group, it's a very big aba community so you're bound to get responses when you make a post. I found vbcommunity website very useful, had many responses from tutors.

Also ABA tutor finder

salondon Thu 21-Aug-14 16:42:08

Wave I am not sure if this is a localised problem or not, but most of the families struggle with tutors (I am on the london-essex border).

When I find someone I like, I work around them and increase hours as and when they become available. Having said that, weekend tutors are harder to find

WaveorCheer Sat 23-Aug-14 21:22:57

Thank you all - I've joined the yahoo group. I did take a look at the ABA tutor finder but it seems (surprise, surprise) to be really expensive.

PolterGoose Sun 24-Aug-14 17:12:44

Would it be best to find a consultant first?

WaveorCheer Sun 24-Aug-14 17:35:10

Hi polter, we have a consultant (who I really like, and who is passionate and skilled) who put us in touch with one potential tutor, but the hours don't work. I've asked for more recommendations.

There's a lot of money to be made out of desperate parents.

boobybum Sun 24-Aug-14 20:05:55

Have you considered getting trained up to do some tutoring or are there any family members/friends you think could do it?
You could also try your local uni psychology dept or look for students doing childcare/development type courses.
Nanny websites can be a good place to try as well and people on it list whether they have any SN experience.
Lastly, try contacting Bangor Uni who run a masters in behavioural analysis. They have students from all over the country and you might find someone near you.
Good luck.

cansu Sun 24-Aug-14 21:44:02

Hi wave, glad to hear that you are getting started. I would really consider finding someone you like, perhaps who has nanny experience or something and getting them trained up. One of the best we had was an ex childminder who did the training and was great with dd.

manishkmehta Mon 25-Aug-14 10:13:00

it seems to be getting harder and harder for parents to find ABA tutors. We found it easier a few years ago... but it's much harder now... I'm not so happy with companies now charging parents for finding ABA tutors... it's almost become a big business...

Maybe time parents got together and started their own site? The goal being that once it was off the ground, and FREE, it would become the defacto place for all ABA tutors to post their CVs?

Just a thought... but it wouldn't be difficult.

ABA4All on Facebook has been trying to get tutors to post there, and people who are looking for tutors.

manishkmehta Mon 25-Aug-14 11:53:44

not a bad webpage... but i was thinking of something more on the lines of a database where parents could put in their post code and find tutors who are willing to travel that distance... additionally, i was thinking of a site that would allow tutors to upload their CVs for FREE and for parents to download them for free...

But yes, the facebook page seems like a good starting point...

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 25-Aug-14 18:16:00

There is a Facebook page to do just what you describe called ABA tutors/parents but I can't do the link

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 25-Aug-14 18:19:35

And here: http://www.abatherapy.co.uk/vacancies

Plus I found websites like nanny net good: candidates who know kids and just need the ABA on top

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 25-Aug-14 18:22:20

And the VB/ABA community website and the UKSBA networking Facebook page

salondon Thu 28-Aug-14 22:16:03

ABA tutoring has become a big business now. Just within a span of 18 months I can see a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now