Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Special boots?

(5 Posts)
Hurr1cane Wed 20-Aug-14 16:06:24

Went to see a genetics councillor with DS yesterday and she said he has very high arches in his feet and his legs were turned in a bit and said she was going to write to his regular paediatrician about special boots and insoles. What are these? I'm unlikely to get an appointment for months, is it something I can sort out for him myself?

Frusso Wed 20-Aug-14 16:14:41

My dd sees an orthotist. It's the orthotist who decides whether it's shoes, insoles, or splints etc.

If it's shoes they take measurements and make the shoes to order. And then you go back for fitting when theyve been made.
My dd is having soft splints made.

Took about 2 months from referal to appointment, not sure when our fitting will be. Depends on area I think. 2-6 weeks.

Hurr1cane Wed 20-Aug-14 16:32:11

Thank you. So I assume I have to wait for an appointment with the paediatrician (already 3 months overdue)
Then I have to wait for him to refer DS to someone else?

Then wait for the appointment.

This should have been sorted 4 years ago when I first expressed concerns about his feet. The physio said he wasn't co operating and discharged him.

He couldn't even talk or understand her hmm

Frusso Wed 20-Aug-14 16:43:59

Go to gp and ask for referral to orthotist. Gp should do this.

The issue we had with shoes was the time our local hospital was taking to get them made and fittings that dd didn't manage to wear them for long before she out grew them.
We've had foot-ups made this time.

Previously we had alot of problems with both referral and the orthotist having no knowledge of the genetic condition.

Hurr1cane Wed 20-Aug-14 16:55:19

Well. No one has knowledge of DSs condition it seems. He's going into a research group (or his DNA is anyway) we really have been messed about for 4 years, if I told you the extent you'd be shocked. But since this has all came to light they seem to be really trying to rectify it and being very thorough with everything.

But of course I've lost faith and if there's anything I can do myself to help him I will.

Like go to the GP and not wait months for the paediatrician smile thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now