Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

make an argument for an indy school?

(53 Posts)
HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 12:11:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Mon 17-Feb-14 12:34:40

What will the independent school give that the state school won't?

nennypops Mon 17-Feb-14 12:36:59

You would have to show that the school nominated by the LA is not able to meet the child's needs whilst the independent school can, ideally by getting provision into part 3 which the LA school can't provide or which would make the LA school as expensive as the indy school, e.g. full time support, lots of therapies, therapists in the classroom, small group teaching, specialist dyslexia teachers etc etc. To do that, you will need strong evidence from an EP with experience of tribunal cases and, given dd's difficulties, you will also need good reports from a speech and language therapist and occupational therapist.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 12:37:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 12:43:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 12:45:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 12:49:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 15:18:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Mon 17-Feb-14 15:47:19

You'd need to be able to demonstrate that a typical state mainstream school cannot meet her needs (and equally, that anything else the LA might offer, eg a unit/base or a SS placement - or a dual placement between MS and SS, for that matter - is also unsuitable).

PolterGoose Mon 17-Feb-14 15:47:44

No advice, sorry, but very good luck flowers

orangedog Mon 17-Feb-14 15:52:24

'ipsea say its the statement, it has to be made to show that only the indy school can meet her needs.'

yes - you have to prove that her needs can only be met by the indi school. So you need to identify very specifically what the indi school can provide that state school isn't able to and match each point to her needs. Otherwise LA will argue that her needs can be met in m/s.

Have you been to visit the school? They may be able to suggest ways in which they can meet her needs or you may see ways that they're supporting other children like dd that may help.

orangedog Mon 17-Feb-14 15:55:33

'Sadly, the LA will jsut want us to choose another local mainstream '

you are arguing that her needs cannot be met in m/s so they won't be able to suggest another m/s if you are able to successfully provide the evidence

They may well suggest another LA SS if you are able to successfully argue that her needs can't be met in M/S, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 16:09:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Mon 17-Feb-14 16:10:45

Yes, basically the SEN legislation doesn't prescribe that a child with SEN has the right to the best or most appropriate education. It says that a child has the right to an adequate education.

To get the Independent school named on a Statement, you have to either convince the LA that your child needs the school to progress, or if you can't, show a tribunal that the only way your child can access an appropriate education is having a place at the independent school. To do that, you'd have to show that the MS schools or Specialist maintained provisions can't meet the child's needs, or that they can meet them but the child won't progress at an adequate rate there.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 16:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Mon 17-Feb-14 16:18:00

Of course not, but again, you have to prove that MS cannot provide the support she needs to progress in that area, not just that independent schooling would do it better.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 16:19:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 16:47:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Mon 17-Feb-14 16:49:50

No, it would be classed as a SpLD (Specific Learning Difficulty).

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 16:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Mon 17-Feb-14 16:57:10

Not necessarily - it depends what her needs are. The diagnosis doesn't tell you what her needs are, only the category her needs fall into.

For instance, a child who can't cope with being near other children is not going to manage in a big environment.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 17:00:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 18:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I think it is rare ...I'm not saying impossible as there are families on this forum who have achieved it.. to get LEAs to agree to independent school for children with HFA.

I work with children who have severe ASD and LDS (and extremely challenging behaviour) in a special school and it is still always a ridiculous fight to get other provision for them and that's when school says it can't meet their needs. It's all about the funding.

If your child currently only has 10 hours in their Statement then I seriously doubt they are are going to fund independent school! If said child isn't making sufficient progress then the next step would to be increase provision where she is!

It does sound a little (and apologies if I am completelyt wrong) that you are very keen to have your children at the independent school and are looking to meet the criteria without looking at it realistically;

Your DD is statemented 10 hours.. this small in the scheme of funding; The LEA are not going to jump from that to funding an independent school. If she isn't making adequate progress they may increase her hours.

You say the relationship with school has broken down. In that case yo would almsot certainly be expected to move to another mainstream primary as first action.

Is your daughter showing a lack of progress according to assessments? Have her NC levels failed to progress at the expected (for her) rate? If not the LEA will not take much notice.

Evidence of dyslexia in itself is not going to make much difference..many children can be accomodated perfectly well in state schools.

You HAVE to prove that her mainstream school (or the equivelent suggested by the LEA) can't meet her needs, not that the indepednent school would meet them better. Sad but true. Otherwise, let's be honest, most of our children with SN, would be in independent specialist schools!

Sorry, I can see this is horribly negative, (and have my own son with autism and would love top quality provision for him ) but having been at the statementing business for 10+ years here I know it's just not easy.

Good luck though !

HoleySocksBatman Mon 17-Feb-14 19:19:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now