Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dining chair 4yo with dyspraxia/SPD

(17 Posts)
Mrsdoodle Fri 31-Jan-14 09:49:54

Hi, it's a bit of a long shot but I can't find anything suitable and DD has just yet again fallen off her chair from a stationary sitting position onto our tiled kitchen floor! She has vestibular problems and dyspraxia and struggles with sitting up at our big kitchen table. This has been slightly improved by adding a stool for her to rest her feet. OT suggested we get her a cushioned chair with sides/armrests, plus a fixed foot rest, but I can't find anything suitable. She can sit ok at the toddler height chair / table set but likes to be able to sit up at the main table with the rest of us. If anyone has had the same problem and found a solution I'd be very grateful for your advice. Thanks.

PolterGoose Fri 31-Jan-14 11:00:31

My ds is 10 and has sensory problems and has hypermobility/low tone, he still sits in his Tripp Trapp, which was the best 'baby buy' ever for us grin our OT was very complementary about the chair and thought it was ideal for him.

vikinglights Fri 31-Jan-14 11:41:48

we have a tripp trapp similar with small arms that v. much reduced that 'child suddenly dissapearing inder table' issue. Its a Kloss Giraffe chair, but I'm not sure if they are still available.

Mrsdoodle Fri 31-Jan-14 19:22:36

Thanks very much for your helpful responses. Had discounted Tripp Trapp as no arms, but see there are sort of side bits that would maybe wedge her bottom in place so could work (though more expensive than all our adult dining chairs put together!). Can't find the kloss chair but will have a more extensive search later. Thanks again

Ineedmorepatience Fri 31-Jan-14 19:29:57

Being able to put their feet on the floor really helps with staying on the chair. If I remember right the Tripp trapp has a footrest and that would probable help your Dd loads.

My Dd3 who has Asd but is also hypermobile, has low tone and Sensory processing issues, wraps her feet round the chair to help her balance. I hadnt even realised what she was doing until OT's saw her doing it and explained.

Good luck with the chair shopping smile

whyisitraininginmycupboard Fri 31-Jan-14 19:31:42

Oxo tot sprout? We use ours without the tray and it is perfect table height. My son is nearly 4. It converts to a chair.

teafor1 Fri 31-Jan-14 19:37:16

I have Tripp Trapps for both my kids and my floppy, can't sit still daughter is held tight by pushing her right up to the table. She is the type to fall out of the chair if I don't do that.

PolterGoose Fri 31-Jan-14 19:47:38

Ds has his right up to the table too, it really is surprisingly secure.

Mrsdoodle Sat 01-Feb-14 06:10:44

Thank you very much. Tripp Trapp seems v popular so we'll try one out. The oxo one looks great but I suspect she will grow out of it very soon as she's very tall.

Geneticsbunny Sat 01-Feb-14 09:30:20

A friend who has been an OT for about 40 years told me that Tripp trapp originally only produced things for OT so they should be good.

bochead Sat 01-Feb-14 10:32:18

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harewood-Step-Ladder-Foldable-Rubber/dp/B00C68QTTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391250560&sr=8-1&keywords=2+step+ladder

I used to use one of these with an home made adapted breast feeding pillow as a seat for some kids when I was a facepainter. Worked well and is cheaper than a tripp trap.

kiddicare.com do trip trap style knock offs from time to time that cost a lot less than the original brand.

(sorry - still in shock that the stabilisers I need for a bike for DS will set me back £85! It's expensive this SN malarkey sometimes).

Geneticsbunny Sat 01-Feb-14 17:14:40

Just remembered there are a lot of grants nd things available for stuff like this.

Mrsdoodle Sat 01-Feb-14 19:46:56

That's v interesting that Tripp Trapp used to produce OT stuff. Love the stepladder idea! I know what you mean about the cost, trying to do lots of research rather than buying another 'helpful' item that sits in the corner gathering dust...

PolterGoose Sat 01-Feb-14 19:50:23

Stokke's adult range is now called Varier and includes some fabulous (and expensive) ergonomic chairs.

MariaNotChristmas Sat 01-Feb-14 22:04:28

Tripp trapp off ebay. It was a brilliant price because the lister had spelled it wrong.

You can usually get the knock-offs very cheaply as well, because no-one does the search properly, so they go for almost nothing (try high chair - wooden, or scroll though every single listing within your driving distance)

Mrsdoodle Sun 02-Feb-14 13:27:22

Thanks for the tips, will do some more searching. I do love an ebay bargain.

Geneticsbunny Sun 02-Feb-14 19:33:10

I had to look for ages but finally got a trip trap off ebay about 6 months ago for £25 collection only. Woo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now