Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I get a private assessment for ADHD?

(15 Posts)
towicymru Thu 30-Jan-14 18:45:44

Does anyone know how I go about getting a private assessment for DS for ADHD? We seem to be getting nowhere fast on the NHS & I'm finding it harder and harder. DS's teacher has said she will support us in any way but no paperwork has been sent to the school yet (despite first going to GP a year ago & Barnardos confirming he needs to be seen by CAMHS as it's not a parenting issue).

I'm not worried about a statement (at this stage!) but want to have ADHD either ruled in or out so that we can access some support/help/treatment!

Also - any ideas on cost as I still need to convince DH to go private.

MadameSin Thu 30-Jan-14 18:52:03

Hi. You need to insist your GP refers you to a developmental paediatrician for a full assessment. My son was dx by NHS aged 7, now almost 11. We went on to have a private assessment for anything else that may have been lurking … came out with dyslexic dx too. That cost us £750. I would be careful with a private medical dx, as schools may not accept it. If your GP won't refer, get another one to!!

towicymru Thu 30-Jan-14 20:21:11

Thanks. Will try and see GP. Life shouldn't be this hard - I just want to help my DS! Just feels like I'm banging my head against a wall and while all this is going on DS is falling behind at school because he can't concentrate for long enough or is easily distracted!

towicymru Mon 03-Feb-14 10:43:39

Have chased CAMHS - they haven't received the referral from Barnardos yet so DS is not even on the list yet! Have booked an appointment to see GP but earliest appointment I could get was in 2 weeks time.

GP that saw us before and agreed DS needed to be assessed has now retired so will need to go through everything again with the GP we see in a few weeks time. Hopefully the GP we see will give us a private referral...

TwoLeftSocks Mon 03-Feb-14 13:00:32

I've no idea about going through a private assessment route but our DS's appt with the NHS developmental peadiatrician came through reasonably quickly once the GP agreed to refer him. They might be able to give you some sort of timeframe when you see them in two weeks, possibly.

towicymru Mon 03-Feb-14 13:41:24

I hope you are right Two but I have a feeling we won't be so lucky as CAMHS seem to be over stretched here - our GP initially referred us to CAMHS, they said DS didn't need assesing, GP wrote back and said he does, CAMHS referred us to Barnardos to see if it was parenting issues, Barnardos have now said it's not parenting & referred us back to CAMHS, CAMHS have said they haven't got the referral. Barnardos told us that if they felt that it wasn't a parenting issue then CAMHS would take the referral more seriously as it was more likely behavioural.

It feels like they are trying to make it so hard that we give up. I first went to the GP a year ago and we are still no further forward!!

Have been trying to google private developmental paediatrician for our area and not having much luck but am hoping GP will be able to help in a couple of weeks...

TwoLeftSocks Mon 03-Feb-14 14:11:02

Crikey, you've really been passed from pillar to post! Hopefully the GP will be able to help, might even know a bit about private assessments, I really don't know how much they can or can't help with that.

Will the GP have a copy of the referral from Barnardos? Would it be worth checking in advance just in case that saves you from any further delays?

towicymru Tue 18-Feb-14 19:13:42

Aaa argh! GP won't give us a private referral - said to stick with NHS & they will write to CAMHS again! Contacted an educational psychologist who said only a medic can diagnose ADHD.

GP took a copy of the Barnardo's letter to send with their letter. I've left several messages for the person we saw at Barnardo's but they haven't called back yet.

Almost a year on and we are not even on a waiting list yet. I want to cry sad.

Anyone got any ideas?

TOWIE2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:29:06

I went private - I totally cut out GP and found a Child and adolescent psychiatrist via my solicitor. I have no idea if you can go straight to him because he was recommended by my solicitor.

He was fab - but very very expensive as I needed an assessment & report for Tribunal

This is his bupa page

finder.bupa.co.uk/Consultant/view/29006

towicymru Tue 18-Feb-14 20:32:18

Thanks Towie. Unfortunately he is too far away from us. Have tried googling private child psychiatrist but not coming up with anything in South Wales.

Why is this such hard work?

sweetteamum Tue 18-Feb-14 20:33:46

I've heard a lot of people on Facebook groups talk about a Jo jones from Stratford. She is a Paediatrician. Her details are www.healthcare4kids.co.uk

Not sure if she's any good for ADHD but maybe she's worth contacting?

towicymru Tue 18-Feb-14 20:44:58

Thanks Sweet. I will send her an email & see if she can help/recommend someone closer to us.

streakybacon Wed 19-Feb-14 08:18:44

I found my son's private child psychiatrist by attending a local ADHD support group. One of their supporters was a paediatrician who worked with an NHS consultant who took private patients and she gave me contact details to set up the appointments myself. It might be worth asking around for support groups in your area who might know of private psychiatrists who could take on your case.

NHS psych service were rubbish for us. If we'd stayed with them ds would never have got his ADHD dx.

towicymru Wed 19-Feb-14 10:08:16

Thanks Streaky. Will try that approach.

Just spoken to Barnardos. They said they have sent the referral but will send it again. Called CAMHS - not yet received the referral (or letter from my GP). I asked about the waiting list and was told that it is 10 months if he gets accepted onto the waiting list. The year we have been waiting already doesn't count!!! At this rate we'll be getting transferred onto the adults list before we get seen!

Am going to get on with googling some work now.

streakybacon Wed 19-Feb-14 10:44:32

Can you get a copy of the Barnardo's letter and hand deliver it to CAMHS? It would eliminate the excuse of not having received it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now