Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ed Psych appointment

(6 Posts)
bananananacoconuts Wed 29-Jan-14 20:30:54

After an horrific week at school (and home!) head teacher has finally agreed to get Ed Psych in to see Ds (7). Does anyone know how long it roughly takes to be seen in school as he is on the brink of expulsion!

ouryve Wed 29-Jan-14 20:38:04

Anything from several months to an eternity, IME. It took 8 months for DS1, the other year, and that appointment was only made when she was visiting another child and saw for herself that he was in a pretty desperate state.

bananananacoconuts Wed 29-Jan-14 20:44:32

Oh no that's awful! If that is the case then, can ds be expelled if he is under assessment for adhd/aspergers?
We have been referred to camhs by GP, who refused to see him because he hadn't been seen by FAST. He has now been seen by FAST who cannot help him, so we are hopefully back on camhs waiting list.
I am not coping well with this

pinkbunny2012 Sun 02-Feb-14 12:46:35

Make a self referral, ring up your local council childerens department and ask to speak to an ed physc and explain the situation. I haven't been in the same situation as u, but I was waiting to get my daughter into a sen nursery and I was told waiting list was 6 months plus, I rang up and spoke to them and she came out 2 weeks later, assessed her and my dd started the nursery 3 weeks later. So defo worth it giving it a go xx

nennypops Sun 02-Feb-14 16:55:55

Apply for statutory assessment. If the school backs you and the LA agrees, that should mean an EP seeing him within 16 weeks.

OneInEight Sun 02-Feb-14 18:14:42

Sadly, yes they can permanently exclude a child under assessment or even diagnosed with AS. But do you know what as devastating as it was at the time for ds1 and us it was honestly the best thing that could have happened. A year on ds1 is happily settled in a BESD school and we have got our lovely son back. Agree with Nennypops get your statutory assessment application in tomorrow and you will find the EP moves into action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now