Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do you do? Out and about with son in wheelchair

(33 Posts)
zebrafinch Sat 30-Nov-13 12:34:13

DS is too heavy to lift now, cannot weight bear and is doubly incontinent.
His horizons are shrinking.
I have just realised he cannot lay on the sand on the nearby beach in the summer, we will pay for a festival all day ticket but he cannot manage even three hours sitting and cannot get out of the wheelchair and lie on the grass and listen to the music, when out we have to return home if he soils himself. I am a lone parent and I can only take him out if another Carer is present and I can't ask them to help lift him. There are no changing places close by. I want to take him camping or a trip to London it's pie in the sky isn't it??
What do you do?

Pixel Sun 01-Dec-13 20:56:43

Hi, haven't had time to read all the thread yet so apologies if already mentioned but have you seen changing places?
There are a couple in Brighton if you fancy a day at the seaside smile.

Pixel Sun 01-Dec-13 21:07:48

You can also hire beach wheelchairs so you can get right down to the water.

JsOtherHalf Mon 02-Dec-13 14:20:03

Check with your local council about portable changing places. I know our council often provides one at big council events eg gala in a park.

zebrafinch Tue 03-Dec-13 20:12:40

Had no idea there were portable changing places! I will check for this at county show.
Thanks to all posters here for your suggestions. I have been inspired. Will definitely get out to a beach with facilities now and will investigate lying down pushchair as DS can come out of his wheelchair at changing places and we can use the hoist there to get him in a lying position. It will mean we can be out for a full day.
Will report back in the summer if the pie in the sky trip to Lonon happens.

zebrafinch Tue 03-Dec-13 20:13:11

London that is

Boobybeau Tue 03-Dec-13 20:56:26

Hi, my ds can walk but uses a wheelchair and we are getting to the point where he is too big to lift and life is starting to get very restrictive for us to. I don't know if you've seen this www.camp-amazing.moonfruit.com/about/4565510527 we've never been but hoping to try it one day.

zebrafinch Wed 04-Dec-13 05:34:29

Boobybeau many thanks for that link. I will definitely be in contact with them. It might provide the safe camping experience for my lad.
I knew mumsnet would come up trumps!

Boobybeau Wed 04-Dec-13 11:17:18

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now