Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

DLA and schools

(18 Posts)

Hi all, dd1 has adhd diagnosed age 6 on nhs and got dx letter etc.Not on medication and doesn't get/need help at school although struggles massively with friendships and some innappropriate behaviour/talking doesn't help her case. Shes 9.5 now and weve never claimed dla for her mainly as thought she didnt need it etc. However am thinking more about it now.

Dd2 is 4.1 and her dla expires next September. She has anxiety issues sensory issues and takes melatonin for sleep.

So with regards to dd1 first application and dd2s renewal do I have to put down name of school? Not sure i want them to be contacted. I have a recent report from dd2s teacher that was done for her annual review with childrens team so I can send that. However I have nothing about dd1 except for her pead letters.

I just not keen for school to be involved. Thanks

Sunnymeg Sat 26-Oct-13 10:15:42

In my experience they will want to contact the school to confirm that the child needs additional help and support.

Ok thanks sunny. For various reasons dodnt really want them contacted. Ill send what I have from the school and see what occurs. Makes you wonder who gives report for dc that are homeschooled x

Ineedmorepatience Sat 26-Oct-13 11:09:42

I have recently claimed Dla for my Dd3, I did put the name of her school on but they assessed my claim from the form and the paperwork I sent which was a dx letter and a recent OT assessment. They didnt contact the school or any of the other people I had named.

Use the Cerebra guide to help you with your form and get as much detail about your worst days with your Dd on to ths form.

Good luck smile

Thabks ineed thats a good idea

PolterGoose Sat 26-Oct-13 11:38:38

Make sure you use the Cerebra DLA Guide when you complete the forms.

It is normal for DLA to need third party evidence of support needs, schools are ideal for this as level of support provided at school is often a good indication of care needs in general.

It would I think look odd if you didn't put school details in the form, they are looking for reasons to not award DLA so it may look like you're trying to hide something.

I don't think DLA contacted anyone when I did ds's renewal, but I had sent a huge pile of paperwork back to his earliest assessments at nursery, I made sure I had third party evidence for every claim I made in the form.

sweetteamum Sat 26-Oct-13 13:46:15

Although I did put the school down they weren't contacted as I'd enclosed a recent report from school. It was obviously enough for them to make a decision on.

eatyourveg Sat 26-Oct-13 13:51:32

ds2 (ASD MLD) is 17 and has had DLA since he was 3. I have always put his ss nursery ss primary and ss secondary school down and they have never once contacted them.

I put down Toad's school when I did his renewal last year.

They didn't contact them as I had sent in his Statement and various other letters/forms.

lougle Sat 26-Oct-13 17:41:48

DD1 has claimed 3 times (2 yr award, 3 year award and now 8 year award). I always give the name of her teacher and the head teacher of her school.

My experience is that they don't contact them. Having said that, I always provide recent evidence of school's views (ie. Statement, annual review of statement, etc.)

If you have nothing that represents her difficulty at school they may well want to ask the school to give a summary of her needs.

Thanks guys thats really helpful

Saracen Sat 26-Oct-13 20:15:04

"Makes you wonder who gives report for dc that are homeschooled"

The DLA decision makers are trying to get a picture of how the child's medical conditions affect her in every aspect of her life, how much extra support she needs and how often.

For a child who goes to school, how she is affected while at school is obviously relevant. That is why they might consult the school. If the child doesn't go to school, then that is a piece of information which the DLA decision makers won't need.

If my home educated child spent a significant portion of her time in any particular setting away from me (such as with a childminder, or being looked after by granny, etc) then I would have asked that person to supply information. She doesn't, so I just wrote "home educated" and there were no further questions about it.

Are you worried that you won't have enough evidence of your child's needs and that the information provided by school won't be accurate? If so, think about whether there is anyone else who knows her well who could give some information instead. You can list whoever you want. It doesn't have to be a professional person.

Thank you saracen, no its not that its just I wamt school contacted as little as possible really. I feel im always in there with some form or other or asking them for something!

TheBuskersDog Sun 27-Oct-13 12:14:25

Surely if you are claiming she has care needs over and above an average child of her age she has those needs for the 6 hours she is in school as well? Are you concerned that if the school is contacted their information will contradict what you are saying?

lottieandmia Sun 27-Oct-13 12:23:59

The problem with school reports, especially when they go to a MS school is that the school is sent a list of questions which have 'yes' or 'no' answers that can easily jeopardise the application. I heard of someone who was advised to apply for DLA by her child's school and her application was turned down because of the school report. The school presumably did not mean for this to happen but the questions are loaded. Unfortunately the decision makers are looking for any reason they possibly can not to make an award, so they may disregard evidence in favour of an award where there is any shred of evidence which gives them an excuse not to make the award iyswim.

This kind of stumbling block can be overcome with an appeal but is a PITA.

lottieandmia Sun 27-Oct-13 12:27:27

When my dd was on an ABA programme I used to send in recent Ed Psych reports which detailed her cognitive scores when compared with other children the same age and these seemed to help.

Busker no ive answered that question above your post. Lottie, thanks I also have friends that were declined on schools report. Im in and out of the school and just think if I ask them to do another form it will stretch their patience!

lottieandmia Mon 28-Oct-13 09:09:17

Good luck, Stressed. I didn't mean to sound negative and hope I didn't come across that way. You will get it but you just have to be stubborn and determined. I really think they refuse a lot of applications and hope people will give up there. Schools are in a position where it's difficult for them to say anything negative about a child because if they do it could come across as an admission that they cannot meet the child's needs. And of course on DLA forms the negatives have to be emphasised and stressed in detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now