Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Play dates

(6 Posts)
Mummyoftheyear Tue 22-Oct-13 06:14:00

My son probably has HF Autism (asperges under the brolly of) but only has certain characteristics of it. We went for our first (and looooong awaited CAHMS referral yesterday).
I'm wondering, following their questions to him, whether I should try to create more play date opportunities for him. He doesn't engender himself to being liked as he directs play and is quite tight with others on rules - but doesn't like to be directed/ follow them.
The CAHMS nurse also asked about who lives in the house and I explained about our long line of au pairs (I work 5-8pm). This made me worry about him being used to them leaving with such high frequency. Maybe I should stop working. hmm
He's lovely but hard work and it's difficult for adults in charge of him without blood-ties to maintain any sort of affection for him.
I've tried to make play dates but he bosses children around and discourages them/ parents from another play date. The only parents who understand are those who have little SENs like me. He's only in year 1, but no one seems to arrange play dates after school. So we have them over half term and that's it. Is this the norm? What can I do to help him?

PolterGoose Tue 22-Oct-13 06:32:44

My ds is 10 now, he only has play dates in holidays, he finds the idea of another child impinging on his evening routine utterly distasteful grin

He only has 1 friend that he sees out of school (has other friends but not interested in seeing them out of school) so we try to do something at least once every holiday. His friend is a lovely boy and they complement each other. We've got into a routine of a mix of self directed and more organised activities, nothing fancy, but it seems to work well.

Mummyoftheyear Tue 22-Oct-13 08:49:14

Sounds like a good plan. MyDS would dearly love friends. When asked, he couldn't remember whose house he last went to or who's been to our neither could I. sad

Mummyoftheyear Tue 22-Oct-13 08:49:34

Sounds like a good plan. MyDS would dearly love friends. When asked, he couldn't remember whose house he last went to or who's been to our neither could I. sad
I'm arranging half term stuff so perhaps that'll help.

Jacksterbear Tue 22-Oct-13 10:24:08

Hi, there are some really helpful play date tips from PolterGoose on this recent thread of mine. Hope Polter doesn't mind me linking to it!

Mummyoftheyear Tue 22-Oct-13 12:18:51

Oh thank you so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now