Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

1st IEP Meeting today!!!!

(4 Posts)
skuntoo Mon 21-Oct-13 17:39:02

I had my DD 3*6 ASD like behaviours and unilaterial hearing 1st IEP meeting today and thanks to the info on here I was well prepared for it.
They have put her on School Action + and the SEN register and are reviewing the IEP in Dec putting down 2 goals to work on.
The school have been really helpful and see a lot of what I see.
The only thing that worrys me is her lack of speaking at school she will speak to the teacher but its when their is nobody else around and doesn't really comunicate with the other children.
Anybody got any tips I can try to improve this ? She is having an hearing aid fitted this week shall I wait until she's use to that and maybe the communication might improve ???

She could hand out the fruit at snack time?

She has to ask each child what they want, listen for their response and hand them the right item!?

She'll get 30 opportunities to practice this per day and it is a structured interaction with the answers being predictable even though a bit varied.

Tambaboy Mon 21-Oct-13 18:42:36

My DS used to do the handing out of the snack and ask for milk or water to the other children at reception and Y1, it was one of the ideas his SALT gave the school to encourage him to talk to other children. It was one of the IEP targets. Another thing he used to have to do was relaying messages between adults in the class to encourage to speak to the adults like " Minitambaboy, go and tell mrs x that it's lunchtime and the children need to wash their hands" and things like that. It helped not only his language but his confidence too.

skuntoo Mon 21-Oct-13 20:28:56

Ah thank they are both good ideas I will definately suggest them for her nxt IEP!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now