Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

YEAR 7 SECONDARY PLACEMENT -- HOW EARLY CAN THE LEA ISSUE A STATEMENT NAMING A SCHOOL

(3 Posts)
wandacatvenus Thu 12-Sep-13 13:58:30

notSENsible

Thanks for your reply. Can you advise what month your emergency review meeting was. We are looking at September 2013 for a September 2014 placeent, ie almost twelve months in advance. COud you even appeal a school place so far in advance?

notSENsible Tue 10-Sep-13 21:34:51

Hi, welcome to the board smile.
We had an early (emergency) review regarding placement and the statement was issued the very next day (they had obviously been planning it). We had 3 weeks to name a school even though the deadline was not until 15th Feb. In our case there was absolutely nowhere suitable so they did agree to our named school.
In your case I would name your choice of school and ask them to finalise the statement as soon as possible so that you can appeal it.My LA admitted that they didn't want a tribunal situation so that helped us however I know that most LA's will string things out for as long as possible. Good luck.

wandacatvenus Tue 10-Sep-13 20:56:34

This is my first post, though I have been reading the SN area of Mumsnet for some time.

My DD is currently in year 6 in a LEA Special Needs School. She will be moving to a Secondary LEA Special School in September 2014.

The LEA has called an early annual review meeting, to discuss the 2014 school placement. It has been made known to us a few months ago (By the LEA) that they will not agree to our choice of school as it is out of area. The LEA have advised they will name their own LEA special school instead

We thought the formal refusal for our choice of school would come in February 2014, when school choices are given via the formal admissions route. However, my question is with this early annual review, could our LEA look to name their own Special School now (Autumn 2013) for a September 2014 placement by issuing an amended Statement with the school named in part 4.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now