Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone with a child at an LEA Funded Indie School? Question re Fees.

(19 Posts)
moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 09:26:17

Ds is due to start an indie secondary this week.

The standard admissions paperwork says pupils need to return a registration fee with their registration form and on the schedule of fees there's also a cautionary deposit (which is far from cheap).

I have emailed the school's admissions officer and our LEA officer, but they are both out of the office until Wednesday, which is ds's Induction Day and all fees have to be paid by the first day of term which is Thursday.

I would hate to mess things up for him or end up with him being embarrassed because things haven't been paid, but can't get hold of anyone to tell me whether or not we have to pay these ourselves or if the LEA will already have covered them.

Has anyone else, with a child at independent school, had to pay registration fees and/or deposits?

claw2 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:38:58

LA paid for ds's induction fees, it was agreed with them beforehand.

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 10:35:53

Thanks Claw. I think the LA will have them covered, but don't want to fluff thing up.

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 10:42:52

Just had a reply, despite getting an out of office response. It's all been paid by the LA.

Phew! grin

claw2 Mon 02-Sep-13 14:02:54

That's good Moose and good luck to your ds on his first day. Ds is starting this week too, fingers crossed for you!

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 14:11:28

Good luck to your ds too. Hope it all goes well and he's really happy in his new school.

I'd be feeling a whole lot better if the idiots in transport could get their act together, but that's a whole other story!

claw2 Mon 02-Sep-13 16:56:12

I will be driving, so don't have that extra worry, hope they get their act together and things go smoothly

BigBird69 Mon 02-Sep-13 18:44:08

My son starting at independent special school this week but I have paid £200 registration and £250 deposit! angryangryangryLatter I am told is refundable when he leaves!!

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Mon 02-Sep-13 18:50:15

Moose, Claw and Big - good luck this week thanks

ArthurPewty Mon 02-Sep-13 18:50:44

We're hoping to go for the same Indie school in 2 years' time Moose.

Let me know how you get on / how you like it.

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 19:08:06

BigBird, is he being funded by the LA? If so, that's just wrong. If the LA says they will fund his place, they should fund his place and to me that includes everything except, uniform and PE kit, school bag items and lunches and things like extra classes and/or school trips etc.

Hi Arthur. I will let you know how he gets on. You have just reminded me that I got your PM, but forgot to reply. Sorry, it's been very hectic around here and my memory is worse than ever.

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 19:08:21

Missed your post KeepOn. Thank you. smile

BigBird69 Mon 02-Sep-13 19:34:40

Yes!! School named on statement!! Admittedly we did put his name down before statement was finalised and paid the £200 registration fee to reserve a place in case went to tribunal (luckily it didn't) but got invoice from school for the £250 last week so whilst I was surprised, I assumed it was normal. They just said it would be refunded less any "expenses" when he leaves. Which school is your DC going to? It seems like I've been fighting forever to get our school and now I'm feeling really "wobbly"!! Mad at this late hour to get an attack of the nerves!! X

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 19:59:26

I would check with your LA BigBird, as I'm pretty sure they should be covering it. Ours is a refundable desposit as well, but the LA have apparently already paid it. It could just be an administrative mistake on the part of the school, as they have on record that you paid the registration fee. Worth a phonecall to the LA to check it out anyway?

I'd rather not say which school it is online BigBird, as it would out me. Sorry.

We didn't have to put his name down and hold a place for him though, as the LA were left with no school for him to go to and had no choice to go for an out of area independent. So the LA have been on board from the start and have just dealt with the financial side without any involvement form us - which is as it should be. Ours isn't a special school, but does have a lot of pupils who are out of area and LA funded.

beautifulgirls Mon 02-Sep-13 20:41:15

Likewise here DD at indi school, LA funded as named on statement - we did not have to pay any registration fees etc at all for her school.

BigBird69 Mon 02-Sep-13 22:08:10

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it. Hope it all goes well for everyone this week!!

moosemama Mon 02-Sep-13 22:34:45

Me too - good luck everyone! Here's hoping all our dcs will be really happy and have a great year at school. smile

claw2 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:04:15

Thanks keep

Bigbird Ds had his induction before statement was finalised, he had 2 day induction, then weekly visits for a couple of days a week with a full time 1:1, for about 4 weeks to keep the momentum going. All before statement was finalised. Mind you it was part of my terms to accept their crappy draft.

ArthurPewty Tue 03-Sep-13 12:13:18

yes Moose, we are strongly strongly looking into that indi school more than anything at this point. I hope there's an open day soon - both girls need to go along and look, but secondary is the time to move to it, i think.

Its gonna be an uphill battle, i can promise you that. we'll probably need a lawyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now