Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

United States of Autism film, free, online

(19 Posts)
ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 11:46:15

www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/page/get_involved/united_states_of_autism.cfm

I'm about halfway rough, its a moving film. They have a lot of problems with insurance in the US that we dont - they also see it as a medical problem, we don't. In the US there is an active movement towards early intervention, in the UK, its more "teach everyone in the family to accept this and get over it".

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 11:55:52

Recovered kids versus unrecovered kids - goodness me.

Am i missing something? I've been in this "game" since 2007, officially, and i've never run across this.

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 12:06:33

It does raise the girls' underdiagnosis issue though. Which is a good thing.

zzzzz Wed 28-Aug-13 12:47:14

Thanks for posting this. Very pertinent for us ATM. I will try and watch tonight. thanks

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 13:38:01

Unlike Louis Theroux's docu on autism, this one doesnt show children only throwing and breaking things - this docu is based on love, its very very sweet.

zzzzz Wed 28-Aug-13 15:00:47

Couldn't wait so have just finished it. I'm not sure I really "got it" IYKWIM

I did find some of it very moving, but am left feeling slightly dissatisfied.

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 15:30:18

As a yank, i understand the insurance woes.

I also know the medical paradigm in the US is that everything can be fixed with a pill, hence the 4 year old prescribed prozac for autism.

i felt for the people, so much. broke my heart. Some of the military health coverage cuts have been brutal lately.

And after that i once again thank god i'm not raising my autistic children in the US.

zzzzz Wed 28-Aug-13 17:02:38

I'm not sure the experience was really very different from mine here. What do you see as the advantages of being UK based.

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 17:45:01

Well, the NHS for one. Free at the point of use. Inc glasses and dentistry.

Secondly, the acceptance of autistic children as they are instead of the focus on "recovering" them from autism - and the implications that a parent isnt trying hard enough if they havent tried to medically "recover" their child.

thirdly, the reluctance of NHS professionals to prescribe ANYTHING for a child - i see that as a good thing. In the US, its an autism dx and here's your script for Risperdal. Nooooo thank you.

Yeah, okay, fighting for statements sucks. But like employment tribunals, you can APPEAL - that's a right you dont have in the USA.

i could go on. I spent my first 24 years in the US, and the subsequent 13 in the UK, and i would choose the UK any time, hands down.

Yes its flawed. No it isnt perfect. Yes, it is a blessing.

sophj100 Wed 28-Aug-13 17:53:20

Arthur - Thanks for this link, very emotive so far, will watch the rest later. smile

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 17:54:16

I listen to my mom cry down the phone about how they may not be able to afford their medications this month because their insurance only pays after the first $17,000 and dad's salary is barely twice that, how she will die without her heart meds and how they're cutting food out and pleasure (no outings, few extras, etc etc) to try and save money, too young for medicare, too old for a decent BCBS policy without pre-existing conditions clauses, etc.

That's a battle i wouldnt wish on anyone.

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 28-Aug-13 18:03:15

Wow, Arthur, that is a very interesting post re US/UK.

I agree the NHS is brilliant.

Also agree that there is a lot of acceptance over here of autism ,though think into that sometimes creep low expectations of what children with autism can achieve.

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 20:23:15

Yes of course there is a flip side of the coin.

Of course, though, think of how soul crushing it must be if you go through all the medical treatments and your child never "recovers" enough - since there seems to b be competition on that point in the USA? Apparently moms feel guilty and are treated badly, if they havent been perceived to have "done enough" to "recover" their children...

So glad I live here. So grateful for the NHS.

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 28-Aug-13 20:59:37

Arthur - is it true that is much much easier to get ABA (my favourite) in the US though?

sunshiningoutofmyarse Wed 28-Aug-13 21:06:20

Arthurpewty Would you be surprised to know that there are also lots of people who are trying to cure their children in the UK as well.

Sickofsocalledexperts Whilts it may be true that you can get ABA in some states in schoos. The quality of teaching has gone down as the popularity has spread. I have heard of many parents who complain of therapists(TA's) who are not really up to scratch.

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 21:25:08

Insurance companies fund try not to fund ABA, afaik. So basically, yeah, its a helluva lot easier to get earlier intervention in the US.

Most of that earlier intervention though, afaik, is medical. Bung pills at kids and see what happens. Not the way i would want to do things tbh.

The delays over here are intolerable, illegal and immoral, sometimes though. Our LA finalised DD2's states last Oct and STILL havent delivered the fucking SALT they agreed to deliver! Its independent and they have to pay for it, hence the 11 months of feet dragging, and I have no recourse because they have promised it in September. Bastards.

Two sides to every coin!

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 21:25:23

states = statement

ArthurPewty Wed 28-Aug-13 21:26:59

sunshining - no not surprised, but its not on a massive scale like it is in the US...

mrsbaffled Thu 29-Aug-13 19:46:57

Thanks for sharing. I really liked the film.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now