Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech and Language "exercises" ;

(4 Posts)
muchadoaboutsomething Tue 27-Aug-13 12:47:19

Hi

Does anyone know a good book or other resource about helping children with pronunciation. My son speaks actually quite well but he has CP in his legs. He is always sort of alright for speech and never gets a referral as he has far fewer problems there than with his motor skills but I was just wondering if anyone knew a good book or resource for ideas about how to help him with the sounds he struggles with (s, f, Gr, ch etc) as I would like to give him a bit of a push to close the gap between him and his peers before he starts school.

Many thanks

zzzzz Tue 27-Aug-13 13:27:06

You can self refer for SALT, (number from GPs receptionist). Mine is almost the exact opposite, (great pronounciation, not so great at putting words together) so no advice on exercises. There are lots of blowing through straws type exercises that can help though I think, so someone will know.

muchadoaboutsomething Tue 27-Aug-13 17:03:29

thanks. I know this may sound odd but I actually don't want SALT at this stage and I know they will just discharge again. I have been there done that twice, and in my new mentality don't go to clinics and therapy when it takes a disproportionate amount of time for results so we really are prioritising physio and associated stuff to leave the salts for children where speech therapy is crucial. I read so much about children who do have significant speech issues I don't want to take up that resource from others who are more deserving than we are. I am not meaning to sound a martyr but given how much I think about whether I could do x, y or z better I would like to look at pronunciation and what i can sort of add in without DS noticing if that makes any sense.

moondog Tue 27-Aug-13 20:10:37

I'm an s/lt with a specific interest in links between speech and literacy. Probably the best thing you can do for him is to really drive reading, which gives you a concrete symbol (ie letter) to relate to a sound.
A reading programme with a high rate of active responding/speaking out loud is what you need and Headsprout (with which I have no commercial affiliation) has given us excellent results with many children with CP with poor speech production as long as you ensure the child carries out all the 'speak out loud' exercises.
Headsprout

Most standard s/lt provision for children with poor speech is not intensive enough, sufficiently evidence based or measurable.

If you want results, you really have to work hard so a child who can be motivated is essential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now