Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Helpful books to understand ASD

(7 Posts)
goldenretriever Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:15

Expecting ASD diagnosis for 4 yo Ds shortly. Anyone got any suggestions on helpful reading for us to help and understand his condition? Thanks.

amistillsexy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:08:59

Start with 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' by Tony Attwood if that's applicable to your situation. It's our bible- explains everything, and written in a very accessible way.

amistillsexy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:13:27

Jessica Kingsley Publishers are the people to look at for books- they have all the books on ASD you could ever need!

I'd advise mooching round their catalogue to see what appeals. You might enjoy reading books written by other parents about their experiences, or tips and hints, or those written by practitioners that explain the condition. They also have lots of books to help you help your child, and for the children themselves, to explain some things that they may find difficult.

zzzzz Fri 23-Aug-13 22:54:04

Send In the Idiots by Kamran Nazeer

And Temple Grandins Emergence, are great at setting high expectations while showing the real issues.

Watch some Grandin on Utube too, she is autistic and talks so well about issues surrounding ASDs.

Ask lots of questions here, you will get it straight from the coal face

PolterGoose Sat 24-Aug-13 14:14:07

For a general guide to autism have a look at this book from the Open University I've bought it but haven't read it yet, it accompanies their course on Autism and looks good at quick glance.

Toni27 Mon 26-Aug-13 21:53:47

It's. not a book I found the most helpful by far but a you tube video. Look up Temple Grandin My experience with autism. It spelled everything out for me, answered so many questions. I recommend it to everyone to watch! I found her so inspirational, you may or may not have heard of dr. Grandin but she herself has autism, and she explains things so well. I have watched it countless times! Xx

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Tue 27-Aug-13 21:16:48

The Lorna wing one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now