Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Not entitled to Dla , What now

(14 Posts)
CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Mon 29-Jul-13 12:36:21

Just that really , don't know the reason why yet as o just rang to check on the claim .

I applied for my Ds 4.5 as he has suspected ADHD/AS/OCD , what do I do now ?

PearlyWhites Mon 29-Jul-13 12:54:40

You ask for a reconsideration but you need to give a reason once you get the letter saying why your ds was not awarded dla.
Did you use the cereba guide?

Trigglesx Mon 29-Jul-13 13:37:25

What level of care were you expecting to get? I'm only asking as I don't know, as if it's L or M, then it might just need to be put through for a reconsideration - but only after you've gone through the Cerebra guide (if you didn't). If you were expecting H, then I'm baffled as usually they would put it on M and you'd have to push for H.

I hate that this system is so changeable - people shouldn't have to fight and push for this. It should be fairly clear cut, in most cases.

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Mon 29-Jul-13 13:46:13

Low or middle , what's the cerebra guide

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 29-Jul-13 16:01:09

cerebra guide is really good at helping you fill the forms in, it might help with your reconsideration still

mymatemax Mon 29-Jul-13 16:11:22

Ask them to reconsider, you really have to spell it out to them and explain exactly how your child needs considerably more care then a child of the same age without the disability.
When I asked for a reconsideration (many yrs ago) I included a brief diary covering a few days and for each line where I explained what support etc ds2 was given I also wrote what a non disabled child would be able to achieve in similar circumstances.
For night time its all about the frequency & length of time you have to tend to your child in the night, so that is after everyone has gone to bed, not just after the childs bedtime

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Mon 29-Jul-13 20:55:14

Ok thanks

lougle Mon 29-Jul-13 21:02:21

The most likely reason is that he is 4.5. That isn't to say he doesn't qualify, but at that age you have to demonstrate the difference so much more.

It is obvious, for example, that an 8 year old who needs constant supervision is different from typical 8 year olds. It's less obvious for a 4 year old.

That means that you have to spell out every thing in great detail. What your DS needs, why he needs it, what happens if he doesn't get it, how that's different from a typical 4 year old.

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Mon 29-Jul-13 22:49:14

Thanks lougle

AgnesDiPesto Mon 29-Jul-13 22:55:12

Or its because does not have a diagnosis yet only 'suspected'
Local Carers charity that helps fill in forms says every parent in past year has been refused if they don't yet have diagnosis, its become standard practice - which given is 18 month wait for AS assessment here is pretty unfair.
You have to ask for reconsideration / appeal, the law does not say you need a confirmed dx it should be based on needs
Chances are you will have evidence by time any appeal is heard.

MrsBottesini Mon 29-Jul-13 22:58:22

The others have said it all really, but go for the worst day's scenario, follow the cerebra guide, and after it is done, don't dwell on it. There is nothing like a DLA form to make us realise how different our children are. At that point put it behind you and give your ds a huge hug.

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Mon 29-Jul-13 23:14:56

Luckily by the time he has his diagnosis at the end of August the whole process will of only taken 10 months which I gather is pretty quick .
I will fight for it as my Ds will benefit from it greatly as I will be able to buy the lights etc that calm him down .

Thanks everybody

PearlyWhites Tue 30-Jul-13 11:01:53

Agnes that isn't true a dx is irrelevant you just need evidence of the care and mobility needs. It annoys me when even well meaning people like charity's tell people things that are their own opinion and not fact.

losingpatienceagain Tue 30-Jul-13 18:45:00

I managed to get DLA for ds at the first time of applying,without a diagnosis. They 'phoned to as if he was likely to get one and as I felt we were close to a dx I said that he was. He didn't get the dx until 9 months later however I did remind the caller that the criteria was actual need rather than a dx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now