Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Son over 2 delayed speach and head banging

(10 Posts)
greener2 Sat 27-Jul-13 20:00:41

I'm normally on here for dd but it is now my ds that is worrying me. He hasn't progressed with his speech and has been head banging with anger for months that I am getting a bit concerned.
Unsure if im worrying about nothing?

ouryve Sat 27-Jul-13 20:11:20

Definitely talk to your HV or GP. At the very least, he needs to have his hearing checked. Is he prone to ear infections at all?

greener2 Sat 27-Jul-13 20:27:59

Nothing as yet, I have always assumed I would know if he had a hearing problem but will check. Its his temper though, awful sad
HV wasn't very good and didn't offer much help, he is really whacking his head and nose and has been for ages I hate it!

mrslaughan Sat 27-Jul-13 20:51:24

It could be sensory issues? My nephew will do this, he has sensory issues, is under-responsive (opposite to my son) , apparently it gives intense proprioceptive input.

greener2 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:40:37

How would I know if he has this? I have to say the head bang is always part of a temper tantrum if that helps?

ouryve Sat 27-Jul-13 21:52:18

If he's under responsive, or sensory seeking then he may spend a lot of time feeling things with his hands, feet or lips - he may like to keep his socks off so he can feel the ground. He may crave swinging and bouncing (seeking vestibular input) or like looking at lights or listening to the sound things make (more than other 2 year olds would). He may like big bear hugs and he may have needed swaddling as a baby for longer than you would expect (we had to wean DS1 off it at 9 months!) He might like crawling into tight spaces (both of mine spend a lot of time squeezed behind the back cushions of the sofa.

Google sensory processing disorder and you'll find lots of useful stuff.

Strategies to try when he's having a violent tantrum - a tight hug (stop if he's made more irate by it or if he's hurting you) - rock him like a baby (as before) - divert him to a rubberised play mat, bean bag or pile of sofa cushions.

Do pursue a hearing test, though - it's an important thing to rule out and something that should be done if he was to be assessed for developmental or language disorders, anyhow.

ouryve Sat 27-Jul-13 21:55:09

Another sensation that DS1 loved was being patted. He used to lean over our shoulders or laps and have his bottom rhythmically spanked! (not hard, of course!)

I've had to train him out of patting me when he has a hug, because it's a sensation that makes me want to scream (I'm sensory defensive)

greener2 Sun 28-Jul-13 18:30:56

I will have another chat to speech and language and see what they say. Tight hugs don't work or diversion unfortunately ;(

Firsttimer7259 Sun 28-Jul-13 22:13:37

My DD (3.5) is a sensory seeker and headbangs when frustrated/upset, it can be scary as she does it really hard. Much of it seems to go when we give her plenty of swinging, bouncing, pillowfights etc during the day. She needs to bite when shes upset so she has lots of blankies for this which she bites when upset. She cant stand being touched when upset so the other sensory stuff is more to ward off tantrums than to use during one. I do stop her headbanging on hard surfaces, much of her room is padded now so I let that go unless really violent.

sammythemummy Mon 29-Jul-13 08:06:39

My cousin used to do this when he was little, hes now 14. I remember my aunty used to minimise making him upset as he would bang his head anywhere, it got to the point where she had to place pillows everywhere to soften his blows. He outgrew it though and he has no issues now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now