Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Education and Health Care Plans

(15 Posts)
inappropriatelyemployed Thu 25-Jul-13 11:18:21

If anyone has been offered one of these or knows what their LA is doing about piloting them (if you are in a pilot authority) can you contact me?

Thanks

raffle Thu 25-Jul-13 18:57:20

We have a meeting soon with DS school (starts Sept), which they said was to write a care plan around his health needs. Is this what you mean?

LuvMyBoyz Thu 25-Jul-13 19:07:07

Sorry, IE, I do not want to reveal anything further. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that all my 'training' with the LA is based on their breaking the law. I have honestly advised parents in the past not to go for a statement because I absolutely believed the LA's policies were bona fide. I'm lurking and learning a lot from this site. You, Starlight and the other Mums have really opened my eyes to the wider picture which I have never been party to despite being widely read. Thanks for the offer, though.

inappropriatelyemployed Thu 25-Jul-13 19:32:24

Raffle - it might not be. Care plans can deal with medical issues in school. The new Education and Health Care Plans will replace statements next year (or that is the intention). However, some are being trialled now in place of statements.

Luvmyboyz- I understand. If you change your mind, any info can be kept entirely confidentially.

streakybacon Fri 26-Jul-13 08:24:33

I'm in the process of finalising ds's statement and have been accepted onto the pilot for an EHC plan. I've had no contact yet other than a letter to say someone will be in touch, and that they expect to use the documents submitted for the statement to write a draft EHC for September. Am I any use to you?

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 26-Jul-13 08:33:07

Yes! You are. Can you PM me?

amistillsexy Fri 26-Jul-13 09:06:16

My LA are trialling them in one small area of the authority from September. We're a Pathfinder.
I was at a meeting this week where we were discussing the format of the plan, which still hasnt been finalised.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 26-Jul-13 09:11:53

I have pmed you IE

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 26-Jul-13 10:23:21

amstillsexy - can you PM me?

JavaDad Sun 28-Jul-13 18:36:47

I know a few people in pathfinder LAs. It seems quite scary how unprepared most people are for this change though.

LuvMyBoyz, I'm so sorry you feel like that. You're not the only one here with that experience, - at least there have been many of us one on one side of the fence to be absolutely horrified when forced to look at it from the other.

Ask yourself if you have integrity. That's what counts.

LuvMyBoyz Fri 02-Aug-13 22:46:41

Yes, Starlight, I have integrity. I do my utmost for pupils with SEN in my setting. I have my own Statemented young man to also care for. I cannot believe that I sucked up what the LA told me so readily and have had my eyes opened since I joined around Easter time. I have always believed parents (because I could so easily have been called a crap parent) and worked with them. Mostly successfully but some not...crushing every time. I feel the weight of my SENCO position and the tension of being part of the school but working for the children with SEN.

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 02-Aug-13 22:59:16

You sound like an excellent SENCO and I wish there were more like you

It's clear you have integrity LuvMyBoys. It was rhetorical.

My biggest wish is that schools and parents woukd wise up to the divisive tactics of the LA and stand together to challenge them and demand better. They woukd be so powerful together.

Instead they are often set against each other.

LuvMyBoyz Sun 04-Aug-13 20:48:15

It's all changing. How long can LAs last for now that so much funding is going directly to academies etc? Their various services are in the process of becoming traded services which schools buy into. It's very hard to keep your job in a school or LA service and go against the grain and especially so when you have been brainwashed by them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now