Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is anyone going to be listening to the Radio 4 thing about autism and oxytocin at 9 tonight?

(48 Posts)
MrsTwgtwf Wed 17-Jul-13 17:56:17

If so, could we discuss it? I'm going to be watching The Apprentice final from 8 to 10 but will catch up on Listen Again, either this evening or tomorrow.

Frontiers. Radio 4, 9pm Wed 17 July. I read about it in a copy of the Express at the gym. blush

"The hormone oxytocin is involved in mother and baby bonding and in creating trust. Linda Geddes finds out if taking oxytocin can help people with autism become more sociable."

Listening to it now (joy of insomnia)

Summerhasloaded Thu 18-Jul-13 06:05:18

Very interesting....

Zumbalenna - do you get oxytocin on prescription?

How on earth do you get hold of oxytocin?

(Apart from eating lots if dates).

So is it all about cuddling curing autism then?

MrsTwgtwf Thu 18-Jul-13 09:39:08

I'm going to listen in a min....

Dates? Really?

FriskyHenderson Thu 18-Jul-13 09:49:21

My 6 year old DD is convinced that DC1 is the only one in the family with ASD because he was the only one that was born in hospital (whacking great synoticin drip) and 'it was the hoover that did it' - the other DC having been born hippy stylie in birthing pool at home.

How do you get the oxytocin?

I listened, with child interruptions, so my opinion is that oxytocin might help in cbt sessions, not just for people with ASD, but was it only found to be potentially beneficial in HFA or across the spectrum?

Reading this.

Star, it's thankfully not cuddle therapy, it's mainly about synthetic oxytocin being used in experiments and some showing it helps people recognize social behaviours better and possibly helps people perform social behaviours better (bit of an obsession with eye contact) and to communicate more. The conclusion is that it would be good in a controlled therapy rather than an everyday life wonder spray it's been touted as in popular media as it takes quite a lot to get any reaction (guy says something like two teaspoons up your nose, something like that).

Yes, dates have it in.

No idea how much or the effect though.

zumbaleena Thu 18-Jul-13 13:15:30

Yes, I get oxytocin from USA through my biomed doctor who is also based in USA. It is compounded and I got a prescription for it. Got it when I went to see dd,s doc in USA. Has worked wonders for her social stuff. From a shrieking banshee avoiding her peers less than 6,months ago.....she has now gone onto recognising their emotions and reacting appropriately.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 18-Jul-13 13:17:55

It definitely cant be cuddle therapy or my DD would be NT

salondon Thu 18-Jul-13 16:39:10

I have been researching oxytocin too. I dont think I can get my almost 4 year old to sniff it yet

4 year olds can eat dates (though no idea if that will help).

MrsTwgtwf Thu 18-Jul-13 21:17:22

I listened, but also with child interruptions. I will have to listen again. I do think it's fascinating, but I can't really get my head round it.

What about the fact that we make oxytocin? I have read that if you stroke a dog, your body produces oxytocin, making you feel relaxed; and the dog's body also produces oxytocin, making him feel relaxed.

jomaman Thu 18-Jul-13 22:30:31

Going back to what star said about not giving birth until you know it is safe, when I was preg with ds1, dh was victim of a violent attack outside our house, and I distinctly remember it was the moment they finished stitching his head and said you can go home, that I sighed and my waters went everywhere grin
I def think the adrenalin of ambulance trip followed by relief made ds1 come out early, and before he was ready...
Am off to try out the listen again thing

MrsTwgtwf Thu 18-Jul-13 22:53:54

It's quite a challenging listen, imvho

It is, they jump around a bit. I got lost a few times on what point they were trying to make (the rodents thing was odd, didn't link well with talking about people).

Yes. But there is research to show better social ability in children who have pets isn't there?

Dogs and horses are the main ones that the research has been done iirc.

MrsTwgtwf Fri 19-Jul-13 08:25:00

Horses seem to like being ridden by people with autism. (Massive generalisation, but there is an affinity there, I think.)

Really?

I couldn't do it, but that's because I'm against 'breaking' them and hitting them with sticks and think horses should be free.

zumbaleena Fri 19-Jul-13 09:12:32

Star.....I think u r an aspie :-)

because I don't like hitting animals? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now