Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Some help needed with starting school.

(2 Posts)

My son's development is all over the place and I have some concerns about how that will work in a school environment when he starts in September and I thought this might be the best place to get some ideas about how I go about negotiating with his teachers to help him out.

My biggest concerns are around his speech and his toileting. Wrt his speech and language, this has been a massive issue over the last two years, we've been working with SaLT (state and private) and made some great strides forward. We're at the point where his language is really very good but his speech lacks clarity and it takes a lot of attention to hear what he has to say.

I'm concerned he is going to get lost in his class and that people will in effect speak for him when he does spit out his words with the speed or clarity of your typical receptioner.

Toileting: I don't know where to start really. Sometimes he will only have an accident once a day, then on others sometimes 4 or 5. I have been to the doctors. I have attempted every bloody thing you could imagine over the last 18 months- I'm not looking for advice here. How do I get the school to understand firstly that this situation is not a consequence of negligence or incompetence on my part ( general default assumption)? Or to understand the extent of the problem (his new teacher seems reluctant to meet with me one on one - and has attempted to fob me off with a quick chat at a group introductory session next week)? I have no idea how they will deal with this and I'm at a complete loss.

Other things are going well, he's very social and confident. Cognitively he seems spot on, he can blend CVC words and do easy sums. I'm not sure how that's relevant except to say I think he would enjoy school if it doesn't brake him.

Break him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now