Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What should i have or be asking for looking at new schools

(2 Posts)
greener2 Wed 03-Jul-13 21:07:21

Hello, saw 3 today and didn't fancy any of them yet.. Not sure what I should be doing, I suppose maybe haven't found the right one yet. I have asked all if they have a sen teacher and if they would help with strategies etc but the one I did like the look of today the sen put me off a little and so did the head. Said she may just be that type of personality and we can try xyz strategies to help (friendship circles etc) and the old she may be really bright and frustrated at things so when she has harder work be better for her...

dd is undiagnosed but diagnosed with anxiety so displays autistic tendencies..

Sunnymeg Thu 04-Jul-13 17:09:27

Hello, I'm not sure of your DD's age so unsure as to whether you are looking at primary or secondary.

For me I think that with primary it was about finding a school you and your child would feel comfortable with. It is very difficult without a formal diagnosis and it may have been that the SENCO didn't want to say too much without knowing more about your child and her situation. If this school seems head and shoulders above the other two, then it is possibly the best option for you. There is no such thing as a perfect school for a child, especially one with additional needs. You need to take a long, hard look at your options and plump for the one which is on balance the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now