Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Struggling with reading and writing, end of Y3

(8 Posts)
tenlittlebuns Wed 03-Jul-13 20:52:20

My DS is 7, nearly 8, nearing the end of Year 3.
He is still struggling to read and write, although is very engaged at school and has high levels of comprehension. He also has proprioceptive problems.
For the last year I have given up badgering the SENCO, but as another year rolls by with virtually no progress on the reading front, I know I need to do something, but am not sure what.

What I've tried, or am still trying, so far:
? colorimetry (couldn't help)
? assessment for visual dyslexia arranged by school (said he didn't have)
? Robin Pauc's The Brain Food Plan (still on)
? retained reflex therapy and vision therapy (still having)
? Reading Recovery at school (still on, but get the impression that 1:1 at school is a bit haphazard)
? OT programme at school (ditto above)

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try to help him? Or what I should be pushing school to do? Am feeling all at sea. School don't ever seem to take initiative with it, but can be open to my badgering if I make myself a pain in the neck!

PhoenixUprising Wed 03-Jul-13 21:55:46

Reading recovery is not a phonics program. So in terms of reading he'd be better off doing dancing bears, which you can do at home.

He'd probably be better off not doing reading recovery because they're probable teaching him to look at the pictures or first letter and guess.

In terms of therapies you want to look at a listening one there are many to choose from:
The listening program
Johanssen method
Theurepeutic listening
Auditory integration training
Fast forword

You could also investigate food issues. Google brain fog for some ideas. he could have an intolerance to dairy or soya or gluten or something like that.

telsa Thu 04-Jul-13 09:15:02

This is very like my DD, who has just turned 8. I have tried reflex therapy and a behavioural optimist. Not sure either really helped. I am curious about the listening therapies. Has anyone had any tangible success with these in relation to reading, writing, numeracy and also prioperception?

tenlittlebuns Thu 04-Jul-13 09:21:56

Hi telsa, I am curious about the listening therapies too, as I haven't heard of them before.
How would I know if they might be of use? Is there some kind of assessment/screening you can do?
Likewise food intolerance. I am guessing that my GP would not test for this without a good basis.

Badvoc Thu 04-Jul-13 10:03:09

Hi op
Are you doing the whole TH programme?
The diet and supplements are a great start, but the neuro developmental exercises and computer programmes are what really kick start the cerebellum into action.
Check out the TH support thread x

tenlittlebuns Thu 04-Jul-13 10:49:04

Hi Badvoc
We are not doing the whole TH programme. The exercises in The Brain Food Plan (e.g. on stairs) are way too difficult for him! (His proprioceptive difficulties are quite marked.) I mentioned it to the BO and she said he would be able to do these further along the road; we are coming to the end of retained reflex therapy so maybe worth trying again.
Also we are not at all near TH so I have resisted that course of action so far. Vision therapy finishes around Christmas time so maybe if it hasn't had much impact, I will need to consider TH more carefully.

tryingtokeepintune Thu 04-Jul-13 10:56:15

We did the Johanssen listening programme and ds enjoyed it.

Before we started the listening programme, we were told that it was likely that ds had auditory processing disorder. An assessment by GOSH showed that he did not have it (this was after the programme).However, I cannot say for certain that it was the Johanssen programme that really made a difference because a lot of other things started at the same time such as aba-vb.

Ds has made a lot of progress since all these were put in place around 3 years ago but for we felt it was worth it for the cost (although it was a stretch).

Badvoc Thu 04-Jul-13 11:08:35

Well, it will still be there! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now