Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone please help me re teeth brushing and possible sensory issues?

(14 Posts)
sweetteamum Fri 05-Jul-13 08:14:36

I also have come back to say that we received the brush yesterday and the reaction from DS was very positive indeed. Thank you and here's to happy teeth brushing (until he decides he hates it lol)

penny100 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:53:18

Oh Polter, I ordered that toothbrush you mentioned above, it arrived today and it is fantastic!! Thank you for the recommendation! Such a clever design. DS actually said it was 'fine'! 'FINE'!!!! This is a boy who normally has such histrionics over the gentlest of toothbrushing, you'd think we were actually trying to extract his teeth not clean them, so that's a HUGE success! Expensive, yes, but a breakthrough- thank you!

sweetteamum Tue 02-Jul-13 22:36:15

I have exactly the same problem with ds aged 10....he can't stand doing his teeth but I'm hoping that the collis curve brush will ease the pressure on him to do his teeth. As well as lessen the time needing to force him.

Strongecoffeeismydrug Tue 02-Jul-13 18:54:33

DS hated brushing his teeth,tried everything then found a toothbrush that plays music for two minutes but only when it's pressed against the teeth.music is DS thing so he brushes twice a day now with no fuss as he listens to his brush play the black eyed peas lol

PolterGoose Tue 02-Jul-13 18:46:53

penny ds hasn't tried it yet, I bought it based on recommendations from here, it is lovely and soft and the junior one is quite small, it is a very clever design. Do remember this is exactly the sort of thing DLA helps with so if you haven't claimed it please do smile

maxybrown Tue 02-Jul-13 12:34:13

My DS doesn't like his electric toothbrush, he just tolerates it for a few seconds so that I don't have to pin him down with head welded between my legs for a quick brush. He too hates toothpaste of any sort. on the upside his toothbrush heads last him ages grin

I was not convinced with the electric toothbrush but it has helped my DS. It hasn't helped my friends little one though as he doesn't like the noise. For my DS I think it is the pressure or touching that bothers him the most (aside form toothpaste) but I'd say his teeth are done every other day once, as quickly as possible with still a lot of discomfort. But I see it as a bonus as I'm not pinning him down

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Jul-13 12:20:18

Thank you all....I did see that Collis toothbrush but not really in a position to buy atm. I have some disclosure tablets in the cupboard and will use them tonight!

I just worry so much! I have showed her pics of rotten teeth....explained hygeine...she's not bothered. She's a proper pain at times.

penny100 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:17:59

Polter - does your DC use the Collis Curve toothbrush and would you recommend it? I kinda assume the answer is yes to both for you to post it but just wanted to check before I spend £9.50 on buying one. For us toothbrushing is just misery too. I hadn't heard of that toothbrush before - sounds good.

I tried an electric toothbrush with ds and he hated it. Finds a normal toothbrush 'fuzzy' to use as it is. Mint toothpaste is a no go. Finally we found one he'll tolerate but I still have problems with getting him to brush his teeth. It's a nightmare.

maxybrown Tue 02-Jul-13 11:57:49

second the electric toothbrush - helps as I'm just guiding it rather then any pressure. He still hates it, would never suggest he brushed his teeth at all, but will open his mouth now. I admit to it not beng done everyday and keeping it as short and sweet as possible, but he saw a special needs dentist last week for the first time ever and she even amazingly got to look in his mouth a little and she said no decay, so at least that's one thing. (first time ever seeing a dentist) DS is fast approaching 6 and has 2 adult teeth present and another wobbly tooth.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Tue 02-Jul-13 11:12:51

I switched DS1 and DS2 to electric toothbrushes (gradually) which is more forgiving of poor technique and also has a timer built-in. The heads are very small. I have also used disclosing tablets - the boys think it is hilarious having a bright blue tongue which helps enormously to reduce the stress around tooth-cleaning. I wouldn't recommend it before school though grin

PolterGoose Tue 02-Jul-13 11:05:09

Have you seen the Collis Curve toothbrush?

I've had a lot of success using disclosing tablets with ds so he can see what he is brushing.

claw2 Tue 02-Jul-13 09:45:18

Similar here, fillings and teeth removal. Things that have helped;-

1. We count, so there is a beginning and an end. So we are going to brush and count to 10, then stop. Gradually increase.

2. Letting ds choose which side/front to start. Giving him some control over something he obviously finds uncomfortable.

3. A soft brush.

4. Fruit flavoured toothpaste as ds says that mint 'burns'.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Jul-13 08:58:45

Long story very short...my DD is 8 going on 9 and has always been quirky. They were going to assess her in year 3 but decided against it as she "came on" so well.

She's one of those borderline cases really....she's very bright and very sensitive to noise and touch...has various verbal stims though she is able to hide them in a number of ways as she understands they're not the go socially....as a small child she spoke early but had some immediate echolalia...but she's also very articulate and since this year has become very sociable. She's always had friends but was passive....this has changed and how!

So....she' is terrible about teeth brushing...she winces and moans as though it is actually casusing her pain...agony in fact. She has always been this way and has three fillings as a result and now she has to have 2 teeth out. sad

How can I help her? What can I do? It's causing ructions in the mornings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now