Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Applied behaviour analysis (ABA) versus Speech and Language Therapy

(54 Posts)
TLSP Sun 30-Jun-13 00:21:21

My DS is a 5 year old an autistic child. I would like to get some private help for him but I am confused by what ABA, and private S&L Therapist can provide. From my internet research there are private S&L therapists who claim they have experience working with autistic children, but will such therapists just concentrate on speech and language or include social interaction?

ABA seems to focus on social interactions, but I am confuse with the structure as it talks about having a supervisor, finding a therapist/ tutor and getting training for parents and therapist then creating a programme. Does ABA include speech and language?

Money is limited so I wish to use it wisely to get the most benefits for my DS.

I have spoken to the school's S&L therapist and was told that she will only provide a consultative service to the teacher assistant, teacher and the SENCO; she does not do any actual S&L session with my DS.

Any advices and recommendations will be greatly appreciated on the benefits between and ABA and private S&L therapy especially if you have used either or both. We live in North East London.

salondon Wed 03-Jul-13 11:36:14

TSLP, we use one of the providers listed by dev. If you would like any feedback feel free to PM me

LouStan1 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:33:01

Hello, Ive just been reading this thread with great interest. I have a 5 year old with Aspergers Syndrome and wondered if I could ask if ABA is usually more beneficial to more ASD/Classic Autistic children?

I do it with my NT 4 year old and it is more beneficial for her than for ds.

Basically, the more capable the child, the better they will learn if they are well taught. ABA aims for efficient instruction, Maximum learning from minimal effort of the child.

AgnesDiPesto Mon 16-Sep-13 17:55:14

There are egs in research of it working across the spectrum but statistically it seems age when starting, higher IQ and progress in first 3 months are thought to be best predictors of those who will get best outcome status. Given the cost I think it is sensible to try it for say 6 months and review progress at 3 and 6 months and then make a decision whether to continue. It's much more commonly offered for HFA / AS in USA so finding providers with experience of AS in Uk can sometimes be difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now