Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would Pedro boots help my DD?

(14 Posts)

Hi, my 8 year old daughter has SLD. We've recently discovered that her pain when walking is due to one foot rolling in and the other rolling out. She has a twisted outwards shin bone, and that leg is also slightly shorter than the other. She's been perscribed orthotics for her shoes, which are so chunky, that we've had to buy shoes way too big, in order to get the width. We got them from Clarks in the end as Start-rite didn't have any styles that would fit. Even the Clarks aren't ver supportive at all and she's still rolling over on one foot. She's also still complaining of pain when walking.
Would Pedro boots help her? and if so, how could we persuade them to let her have them? They are going to refere her to the physio too.

She has some hypo mobility, and poor co-ordination and balance. I'm just concerned that as she's getting older, her pain when walking seems to be getting worse. She's very big for her age at 4 foot 8, and weighs 6 stone 11. Her weight is in line with her height, but she's always been on the 99th percentile for both. On the shorter leg, her foot is a whole size smaller too.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 22-Jun-13 21:05:48

Dd3 also has hypermobility in all her joints and used to fall loads. She had orthotics for her shoes which have really helped her.

I buy Ecco or Ricosta shoes for her, the inners can be removed and replaced with the orthotic, this helps with the problem of shoes.

Clarks are pretty rubbish IMO for support as are hush puppies, Dd3 rolls right over in both of them.

Kickers are great too and come in shoes and boots.

The better shoes are pricey but well worth the extra cost.

Good luck smile

canadawater Sun 23-Jun-13 08:56:56

Might be useful
Our physio was able to sort this out for us so when your referral comes through this might be something they do for you

We found some boots in Clarks called Diggy Sam were really good not sure if they do a girls style though

Yes...they probably would be a very good idea.! If you have a physio/orthotist ask there first, but you can also buy Piedros direct from here

www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/Shop/piedro-childrens-orthopaedic-footwear/2.aspx
and their new range is fabulous!!! My DS2 wears afos but I bought him some Piedro orthosport boots to give him a break and he loves them. You don't have to have a prescription or anything.

They are very expensive though so best to go thro orthotics if you can!

Thank you. smile She is still rolling over on one foot, and still complaining of pain when walking. The problem is, we can't find shoes in any make or style to fit her well. She's already an H fitting, without the chunky insole. That's why she has to have a 5H, when her smaller foot is only a 3.5H. All the more chunky, supportive shoes tend to only go up to a 2 or 3 max.
The lady in our shoe shop has been fitting her shoes since she could walk. She's had a look on all the websites for us inc Start-rite, Recosta, ecco, Geox there are probubly more but can't think of them now.

To be honest, I don't care how much they cost. (within reason) It would be amazing for her to be able to walk without pain and having to stop all the time.
I'll try the physio, but if not, I'll buy them. Would I need info about her foot and leg condition, so they can get them just right?

Oh and thank you very much for the link. smile I'll have a look through.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 23-Jun-13 10:42:57

who prescribed the insoles, an orthotist? I'd go back to them and say they're not working and not providing enough support, even if they won't provide piedros they may advise the best type to get as there's a few different levels and types of support. As medusa says, they have some amazing new styles for piedros so definitely worth a look. I tried to get some of the new style from our orthotist for dd3 but our pct won't fund them yet, I have hope for next time grin

The other thing you could try in the mean time are walking boots like these we had an emergency pair while waiting for dd3's piedros a while back, our physio thought they were quite good for support.

canadawater Sun 23-Jun-13 10:53:00

That info is really useful
I hadn't thought of walking boots
And saw that Gilbert Mellish do a satellite London fitting clinic (v useful as the last NHS pair didn't fit properly & gave him blisters, felt really bad as thought the boot refusal was just behavioural!!)

zzzzz Sun 23-Jun-13 12:57:10

Can I butt in? Dd2's feet are worrying me a little but I don't know if. I'm being silly? confused I was looking at her standing this morning and got a bit of a shock (mostly because I hadn't noticed or they've changed).

Her feet are now flat and the ankles sort of slurp inwards shock. Should I take her somewhere? Where? Should she be wearing some sort of support? We are flexible as a family but each only in a few joints, so I've never really focused on it.

PolterGoose Sun 23-Jun-13 16:02:06

zzzzz ds's physio referred him to orthotics dept, but he was getting lots of pain. Your GP might refer or you may want to try off the shelf orthotics, Boots do a good range, I've got Scholl ones.

ouryve Sun 23-Jun-13 18:58:56

Kickers definitely won't fit feet that wide. They used to do some lovely wide styles, but haven't done so for a few years.

zzzzz Sun 23-Jun-13 21:54:59

Doc Martens?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now